Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! I"m new to Jeep and am pretty green. I just got a 2014 and I was wondering why the radio comes on as default when I start the car, even though i was playing the iPod, or satellite radio when I shut it off.
Thank you for any and all help!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do you turn off the radio when you shut off the vehicle?

I usually listen to aux or CD's full of audio.. my radio stays on the last mode.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can't say it is the reason, but the iPod interface is very slow. I have noticed that if I try to switch to the iPod immediately after starting the Jeep, it doesn't even recognize that it is connected, a few seconds later it recognizes it, but takes several more seconds to initialize the connection. My assumption is that it reverts back to the radio because it doesn't even know the iPod is there when it first turns on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!
I do not turn the radio off when i stop the car.
i was expecting the usb iPod to start up slowly as it does take a few seconds to initialize, that could be it. today I tried it with the sat. radio on and it kept that feature upon startup.
I was hoping it was a default that I could change......but the owners manual and the website for Uconnect are not much help so far.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Actually there's a real reason for the system going to the last radio mode:

Your iPod is played thru the Uconnect externally mounted module which sends the data and audio signals to the radio, so the radio is not like a light switch that turns the lights on and if you flip the main circuit breaker off, (the lights go off without touching the light switch) and then when you flip the circuit breaker back on, the lights are still on.

The issue was that in vehicles with factory remote start systems. When the vehicle was remote started, Uconnect is not powered up yet. This is because if the vehicle is within the BT range (about 30 - 35 feet) and you tried to use your phone or had an incoming call, you wouldn't be able to talk to the other person because Uconnect would be active and your call would be active in the vehicle.
Ok, so now that we understand the "why it's not powered up" question, lets explain the real issue:
When you get into the vehicle after remote starting it, turn the ignition on, Uconnect now will power up and you will hear a "pop" thru the car speakers. The reason for the "pop" is because the radio would be in an AUX mode with no audio input signal until Uconnect powered up, read the USB or iPod to make sure that there hasn't been any changes made (after the key is turned off, Uconnect doesn't know if the device has been removed or not) and that all data is still correct, then start to play. So while there would be a short period of reading, Uconnect powers up and then the "pop".
There were a lot of people thinking something was wrong and would go tto the dealer for repairs. This caused a stir in warranty so Chrysler decided to not have resume play but to go back to the last media used prior to using an iPod or USB. Then manually start the device play.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does help. at least theres a reason. so, they removed the resume play for aux- with all Uconnect, not just ones with remote starters? (don't have one)
thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
correct, that's because there isn't a separate Uconnect for W / RS or WO / RS.

it does help. at least theres a reason. so, they removed the resume play for aux- with all Uconnect, not just ones with remote starters? (don't have one)
thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts