Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rubicon with the infinity system and nav. Funds don't allow me to do up the audio as I would like and replace everything so I have to make due until she's paid off.

I have a 12" sub layin around that I would like to use to get a little better bass through all low freqs since I find the factory lacking in the lower mid range freqs. Is it possible to utilize the factory amp and replace only the sub?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Merry christmas fellow Jeepers!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I have a rubicon with the infinity system and nav. Funds don't allow me to do up the audio as I would like and replace everything so I have to make due until she's paid off.

I have a 12" sub layin around that I would like to use to get a little better bass through all low freqs since I find the factory lacking in the lower mid range freqs. Is it possible to utilize the factory amp and replace only the sub?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Merry christmas fellow Jeepers!
I have been considering taking the sub woofer speaker apart to measure it up and see what I can jam in there besides the stock one. I am getting distorted audio out of mine at higher volume levels. Mine is an 08 and is paid off. So, I'm very close to replacing the speaker. The rest of my sound system sounds awesome though and I'm not changing any of that...yet. Maybe as the speakers get tired, I will look into those. But right now my focus is on that dang woofer. I don't know if the distortion is being produced by an inadequate amplifier being over-driven or if the speaker cone just doesn't have enough travel and is distorting at the ends of travel. At any rate, the sequence of my improvements will be to find out what is in there, find a speaker of the same size that has a more stiff suspension for the speaker cone (and more power handling capability) and test that out on the system otherwise untouched. If I still get distortion, I may put in an amplifier just for the woofer. I'm not really interested in redesigning the whole system, just improving the bass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a box so it will be a swap. My question is would ir be a simple plug and play or? Is the factory sub a powered sub? What would I need to switch them out and is the factory amp enough watts to even make it worth the trouble?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Haf said:
I have a box so it will be a swap. My question is would ir be a simple plug and play or? Is the factory sub a powered sub? What would I need to switch them out and is the factory amp enough watts to even make it worth the trouble?
My guess is that the stock amp would be way to small to pack the beats your probably looking for

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really lookin to rattle the neighborhood. I like to hear all the music, just lookin for better bass throughout.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Not really lookin to rattle the neighborhood. I like to hear all the music, just lookin for better bass throughout.
This makes two of us. Your jeep is a little newer than mine but our situations seem similar. Audio from the bass speaker is distorted. The rest of my system sounds pretty good. I'm looking for the base to provide some good sound without distortion. I have extensive electronics background so have a little understanding of audio systems. There are two possible issues at work with the distortion. The amp is not capable of producing enough power and when the volume is turned up, the output becomes distorted or the amp has sufficient power capability and the speaker is not capable of the amount of power being delivered and it is causing the distortion. The easier of the two to test is replacing the speaker.

·
Registered
695 Posts
jk'n said:
This makes two of us. Your jeep is a little newer than mine but our situations seem similar. Audio from the bass speaker is distorted. The rest of my system sounds pretty good. I'm looking for the base to provide some good sound without distortion. I have extensive electronics background so have a little understanding of audio systems. There are two possible issues at work with the distortion. The amp is not capable of producing enough power and when the volume is turned up, the output becomes distorted or the amp has sufficient power capability and the speaker is not capable of the amount of power being delivered and it is causing the distortion. The easier of the two to test is replacing the speaker.
You also must take in mind power is one thing materials are another i have 2 12" kickers powered by a 750 watt pioneer, if i hook into my friends 400 watt alpine amp, it sounds much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts