Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Vermont and don't know any reputable installers for a new audio system.

I want to replace the stock 430 unit with something that has Apple Car Play and better interface in general.

I can easily get to NH/MA and will be in CT later in July. Can anyone in the VT/NH/MA or even CT area recommend solid shop to do the work for me? My wife won't let me do it myself and she probably has a point.

THanks

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Sorry no recommendations regarding installers, but...

Tell your wife that with the money you'll save doing it yourself, she can buy a nice pair of shoes, or whatever she's into.

Seriously though, if you decide to do it yourself there are a lot of people here that can help you through it. It isn't that hard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no recommendations regarding installers, but...

Tell your wife that with the money you'll save doing it yourself, she can buy a nice pair of shoes, or whatever she's into.

Seriously though, if you decide to do it yourself there are a lot of people here that can help you through it. It isn't that hard.
Thanks. Issue I have is I am a Mac guy and seems to need a windows machine to reconnect all steering wheel function. Unless I am missing something. I guess I could borrow one of I can find one.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Thanks. Issue I have is I am a Mac guy and seems to need a windows machine to reconnect all steering wheel function. Unless I am missing something. I guess I could borrow one of I can find one.

I'm a Mac (and Linux) guy too. I programmed the Maestro box on my wifes laptop. Honestly the Maestro install and setup was probably the most difficult part of it, but really not that bad. You can do the Maestro wiring harness prep work on the test bench ahead of time which is 90% of the work. I soldered and used heatshrink, etc, but you dont have to go that far as long as you have secure connections. For me it's quicker to just solder.

Originally I was going to have a local guy do my head unit install because my free time is worth a lot of money to me. But the estimates came in between $300-400 including the Maestro and mounting kit. They wouldn't just do labor only which still would have been high. I spent a couple of hours on a Saturday morning to install mine and saved about $150-200. That was worth it to me. And I tend to work very slowly and carefully.

Crutchfield is your friend and they can get you all the kits/Maestro options you need at a discount when you buy a head unit from them.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Go to crutchfield. I just replaced my head unit with a sony. Every bit of it was plug and play except one wire I had to soldier for the backup up camera. I would even bet if you asked they would put a plug on it for you.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
And the dash is super easy to pull apart. 4 screws, 3 AC vents and that's it.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I put in a Kenwood from Crutchfield about a month ago. This was relatively painless. For the most part, all the wire connectors can only go in one place. The 3 prong male wire can only fit in the 3 prong female connector and so on.

I suggest that you disconnect the battery before starting the install. I had one question along the way and called Crutchfield for the answer. They were very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Thanks. What head unit did you go with?

I bought a Pioneer NEX 4200 when it was on clearance about a year and a half ago. Go to Crutchfield and look at whats available. I prefer to stick with the better known stuff like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood. Sony is probably Ok too but I don't like their ergonomics personally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to crutchfield. I just replaced my head unit with a sony. Every bit of it was plug and play except one wire I had to soldier for the backup up camera. I would even bet if you asked they would put a plug on it for you.
I like the look of the Sony head units. What model did you go with? When you say plug and play were you able to keep all your steerer remote controls? USB in the center console? NO need for hooking up a laptop to match everything?

I was thinking about this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV5000/Sony-XAV-AX5000.html?avf=Y

·
Registered
821 Posts
Any Mac user should know about... BootCamp
If not click it and open a whole new world of options.

And although Maestro is the best option there are other options available also.
Dig around on Crutchfield and they will show you plenty of other products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts