Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for this thread if it has been asked many times before, however here goes.

I am the proud owner of a YK10 Ultimate and coming out of a Nitro find the in car audio, specifically the speakers to be, shall we say, shite!

I have searched the net and through the forum for answers and spoke to a couple of dealers alas with little result.

I want to keep the head unit as I know it was pretty good in the Nitro, but need some new speakers for the sound bar, front and a sub.

All or any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers SM. Oh yeah, and as I am in England it really needs to be mainstream available. :wavey:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Go to Crutchfield.com, you can select auto-make/model/etc.

It will tell you exactly what size speakers you need and the manufacturer(and price, of course)

Hope this helps.........

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
x2 for Crutchfield. They make outfitting your Jeep a piece of cake.
Be advised, simply upgrading your soundbar speakers isn't going to do much for you. The factory head unit does not send equal power to the rear speakers. So you will most likely notice an improvement in highs (assuming you go with at least a 2 way speaker), but they will still be drowned out by the fronts.
I replaced my speakers with a decent set of Memphis 6.5 2 ways and there was a small improvement in the highs, but I also got a TON of bass distortion because the underpowered factory head unit could not push them adequately. It wasn't until I upgraded the head unit that I really benefited.
For a grand total of $370, I replaced all 4 speakers (will do the tweeters next) and the head unit with one that is ipod and bluetooth ready out of the box. You pay that just for the ipod/bluetooth interface and install for the factory system. Sound is a hundred times better now.

·
3,952 Posts
Also, hit up a craft store and get some PolyFill to stuff your soundbar with while you're swapping the speakers out. I did my soundbar and filled the front speaker pods with it, since I reused them with my new speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced my speakers with a decent set of Memphis 6.5 2 ways and there was a small improvement in the highs, but I also got a TON of bass distortion because the underpowered factory head unit could not push them adequately. It wasn't until I upgraded the head unit that I really benefited.
Did you have the stock infinity speaker system?

·
3,952 Posts
Did you have the stock infinity speaker system?
no, the standard system, but i listened to the stock infinity system when i bought my 2010 to see it it was worth the price. i wasn't impressed with it at all. the boston acoustics factory setup in my 05 magnum r/t was much better. even the old mach 460 system in my 95 mustang was pretty much of equal quality. i can see the infinity being enough for many jeep owners, but i just couldn't ante up the dough when i knew i could do it better for less. many people also don't want to bother upgrading beyond what the factory offers, which i totally understand.

my setup now is still better than the infinity system and cost a lot less. just required a little ingenuity as the parts don't "bolt in" completely. you will still have underpowered rear speakers, even with the infinity system.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also, hit up a craft store and get some PolyFill to stuff your soundbar with while you're swapping the speakers out. I did my soundbar and filled the front speaker pods with it, since I reused them with my new speakers.
Good advice. You can install the best speakers in the world, and they won't perform to their potential unless you fix the enclosure.

If you can get a hold of an amp out of a Nitro, you can swap it with yours to get more sound from the soundbar. Chrysler limited the power going to the soundbar speakers because of a rattling at higher volumes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Chrysler limited the power going to the soundbar speakers because of a rattling at higher volumes.
Huummmm,, That is a bad play on Chrysler's part.:bottom:.. Build a better sound bar enclouser, instead of limiting the higher volume??????. Thought it was called a sound bar for a reason???? :confused: lol :rofl:

As far as the front speakers I bought on-line the Kicker -10......... speakers "Indentical to Mopar's Website" for about $71.00. They sound way better than the stock speakers. The difference in weight between the Mopar speakers and Chryslers original speakers is night and day. Mopar speakers "KICKER Brand" are high quality and no soldering was needed, direct fit ,and the speaker has the same electrical plug, total plug and play. Very happy. As mentioned already, if you can get a Dodge Nitro Amp, ' Which would be plug and play as well" that will stop the limiting of the sound to the rear sound bar as well.

On the 3 mounting tabs , I used 3 heavyduty small ruber washers between the speaker and mounting area to isolate any vibrations, worked out fine

Hope this helps.

:D SLIM_SNOOPY :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
Apologies for this thread if it has been asked many times before, however here goes.

I am the proud owner of a YK10 Ultimate and coming out of a Nitro find the in car audio, specifically the speakers to be, shall we say, shite!:wavey:
So that's the European nomenclature^^???

·
3,952 Posts
i've heard the kickers were a nice, easy upgrade.
my question is, if you do decide to upgrade the head unit at some point, will they handle the added power. if you want to add an amp? how will they sound? i'm thinking they're designed to work with the low power output of the factory head unit, so that is what arouses my curiosity.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i've heard the kickers were a nice, easy upgrade.
my question is, if you do decide to upgrade the head unit at some point, will they handle the added power. if you want to add an amp? how will they sound? i'm thinking they're designed to work with the low power output of the factory head unit, so that is what arouses my curiosity.
SINISTER -

I think it was rated for 150 watts, they are after market speakers. I have the spec sheet somewhere on my desk, when I find it, I will post it here. Big difference in sound for those that have the basic X Sport, I am not embarassed to crank up my radio now,,,,,lol :rofl::rofl:

·
3,952 Posts
cool, they should work well if/when you did upgrade the head unit and/or amp. kicker makes decent stuff and the only thing that turned me off to them was the price.
would i have reconsidered after installing aftermarket speakers in the factory housings? maybe. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sinister ----

The Mopar " KICKER" Upgrade speakers are 75 watts rms / 150 watt max - Size 6.5

For $70 it is a upgrade for the members that have the basic x model with the crappy speakers. You can crank up the volume and actual enjoy what you hear....:)

One of the best interior mods I have done yet !!!!!

:punk:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts