Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just want to start off by saying I don't know much about audio upgrading. But I have got an idea of what I want to do.
So I will be going with the Polk db651 or db651s (not sure which yet) for the soundbar.
And Polk db6501's for the fronts.
I also want to get a new sub to replace my stock, preferably one that will fit it stock box (spacers if needed)
Now I know I will need an amp for the sub, just know nothing about amps and which one to go with.. I am keeping the stock HU and was also wondering if keeping the stock amp is fine for the Polk speakers?
Anyone know if this set-up will work? And any subwoofer/amp suggestions would be great!
It is a 2009 jku btw

·
Premium Member
9,897 Posts
The stock amp is 2 ohm. It will work with the new speakers (4 Ohm), you will just be down on power so you will have to keep the volume control and a reasonable level or you may damage your speakers.

Assuming you keep the stock head unit and amp you will need a LOC to hook an aftermarket sub amp up. You will want a mono amp for the sub. As far as brand of sub to get that is really up to you. What are your goals. You can put a small 8 inch, maybe go with the JL Stealth setup or with a JKU put four 15 inch subs.

Now what I tell everyone, determine your price point. Remember to add for installation. Go out and listen to the speakers in your price range. Once you have made that selection then you can talk about amps. I like my subs to handle 4-6 times the power of my front speakers. If you stick with the stock h/u and amp your sub would be under 100 watts. Might as well stick with stock in that case.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock amp is 2 ohm. It will work with the new speakers (4 Ohm), you will just be down on power so you will have to keep the volume control and a reasonable level or you may damage your speakers. Assuming you keep the stock head unit and amp you will need a LOC to hook an aftermarket sub amp up. You will want a mono amp for the sub. As far as brand of sub to get that is really up to you. What are your goals. You can put a small 8 inch, maybe go with the JL Stealth setup or with a JKU put four 15 inch subs. Now what I tell everyone, determine your price point. Remember to add for installation. Go out and listen to the speakers in your price range. Once you have made that selection then you can talk about amps. I like my subs to handle 4-6 times the power of my front speakers. If you stick with the stock h/u and amp your sub would be under 100 watts. Might as well stick with stock in that case.
Ah okay so I would need to get a new amp for the component speakers to get the full potential from speakers?
I really like that jl stealthbox. High price point.. But I gues you get what you pay for! Budget is roughly 1500. It will be a bit before I get the setup. Just planning ahead. Would I need to replace my HU if I got the stealthbox?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,897 Posts
Talk to a professional shop for exactly what you need. In general, no you don't need to replace your head unit to add a sub. But it will take an amp to run that sub. I am assuming you don't have a sub today.

Also I would like to make a correction. I am assuming you stock system is 2 ohms. My 2014 is and it seems most Jeeps are. If it is in fact 2 ohm then yes you need an amp to get the most out of the Polk speakers safely.

Assuming you keep the head unit you could add a 5 channel amp to run the sub and the new speakers. Lots a different ways to go about it that is why it is good to talk to a shop and do some independent research.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talk to a professional shop for exactly what you need. In general, no you don't need to replace your head unit to add a sub. But it will take an amp to run that sub. I am assuming you don't have a sub today. Also I would like to make a correction. I am assuming you stock system is 2 ohms. My 2014 is and it seems most Jeeps are. If it is in fact 2 ohm then yes you need an amp to get the most out of the Polk speakers safely. Assuming you keep the head unit you could add a 5 channel amp to run the sub and the new speakers. Lots a different ways to go about it that is why it is good to talk to a shop and do some independent research.
Alright thanks for the help man!! :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts