Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woûld lIke some input from any audiophiles out there. I have a '15 with stock head unit. Was thinking about putting in 4 sps610c alpine speakers with a ktp445a power Pak? Any advice on this setup would be welcome. Thank you in advance if anyone has any input.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Audiophiles don't like Jeeps. A Jeep is basically the worst audio environment you can have in a vehicle, short of a motorcycle or a quad.

The front speakers are in the dash, not the doors. They are in enclosures that can't possibly be sealed properly. The fronts are in front of you, instead of being on the right and left of your ears. The rear speakers are in an overhead sound bar, which is made of thin plastic. Behind the sound bar is either a hollow fiberglass hard top, or a soft top made of fabric. There is basically no audio insulation anywhere in the vehicle.

It would cost more then the MSRP of the vehicle to get a system an audiophile would drool over.

That being said, it really isn't hard to improve over the stock audio system. Alpine makes middle end gear at middle end gear prices as far as speakers are concerned. I wouldn't put really high end stuff in a Jeep, it would be a waste. Save the money for hugenormous tires. :)

If you already have the stock 'Alpine' branded upgrade from the factory then it probably won't be better then the stock system. If you have the entry level system, especially the version with no subwoofer, then Alpine gear will be a pretty nice upgrade from that.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would go with a better amp. I had that one before and it wasn't much better than a aftermarket deck even though the specs say double the power. There's plenty of small 100w 4ch amps out there. I'm partial to Rockford myself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I guess the main thing is how much are you wanting to spend to do this?
You can add a nice 5 channel amp, front components, rear coax and a sub of some type easily and it will improve a great amount over the stock system. As mentioned its really hard to get high end sound but a real good sound can be accomplished.
With the speakers again as mentioned in thin plastic surrounds, I placed Dynamat Extreme inside them to help combat the thin plastic issues. I have a friend who has a 2015 and he wants to retain the stock NAV unit as well. He is coming over to the shop one of these days and we are going to do a full system in his JKU. I will plan on taking notes to share with everyone for whats involved on swapping audio components and retaining the stock radio.

FYI you can do much better than Alpine for a similar price range as well.
Take a look at the XR 400/4 from Kenwood for a nice small 4 channel amp as well

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Alpine PDX-V9, quality dash/sound bar speakers, and 10" compact sub in box. Plenty of head room with doors and top off at 75. The setup you're looking at will not get you there.

But, if you leave a hard top on 24/7, it will be better than stock, certainly.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hmmm...... I have a Mark Levinson Home system and Love my Jeep.

WTH was I thinkin' :)
Jeep owners are an irrational bunch, I certainly am included.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
It seems like every time I bring this up if falls on deaf ears...

But - I have a budget audiophile system in my JKU.

Here is the headunit you want - Pioneer DEH-80PRS:
DEH-80PRS - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA

It allows you to use component speakers by using the fronts as an amp for your tweeters and rears as an amp for your mid-woofers. Fully adjustable crossover points with slope. Separate subwoofer output with adjustable crossover point and slope.

Has a built in tuning algorithm that is used with a condenser mic to set the crossover points and slopes for you. Also has fully adjustable EQ curves so you can further tailor sound on top of the auto-eq'd level.

Super low THD - see this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCDWmw9Qr0

Even at 100% output, the amps do not distort.

I use this with Pioneer component mids and tweets and an infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 sub on a 350W amp.

These are the component speakers I used - Pioneer TS-A1605C:
Pioneer TS-A1605C 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fits many 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

I found both the bead and component speakers on ebay for a very good price. Refurbed head was around $250.

Sound is very tight and clean. The jeep interior makes the EQ a little lumpy in a couple of spots, which I tuned out via the custom eq.

Head unit also had full blutooth and 2 usb ports as well as CD and XD card input ( I think, havent used the card yet).

I love mine... I did my entire setup for around $600 or so (sub components were purchased used and pieced together)

Just for reference - at home I run Magnepan MG IIc's that I fully refurbed, as well as a vintage Carver TFM55 and C1 preamp that I fully refurbed.

I wanted smooth clean sound in the Jeep as well - and this does it. Forget anything factory - rip it all out and run all new... dont mess with the factory garbage.

All that being said - this is not a *thump* system... its 14 watts to tweeters, 14 watts to mid-woofs and 350 watts to sub. It gets loud and stays clean... Soft or hard top on, Its perfect... take the top off, and no system is going to be amazing... but even then, I have rocked this one out with no top on the highway and I can still make everything out in the song.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts