Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with an Aussie locker in the front axle without having an axle disconnect or manual hubs? In other words, front axles engaged full time. I have a 2015 JK and I'm considering an Aussie in the front, but this being my DD, I don't want steering or reliability issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes. I had one in currently have it removed mainly because of winter driving conditions. Off road it was night and day difference in capability. On road would notice occasionally in very sharp turns. If you live in an area you get snow go selectable. If it was a dedicated trail rig I would be recommending Aussie locker

·
Registered
983 Posts
Aussie up front

Yes. I had one in currently have it removed mainly because of winter driving conditions. Off road it was night and day difference in capability. On road would notice occasionally in very sharp turns. If you live in an area you get snow go selectable. If it was a dedicated trail rig I would be recommending Aussie locker
Why would a lunchbox on the front be bad in winter driving?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've currently got one in mine.

In 2wd I don't even know it's there, unless I'm at full lock on my steering and that's when I notice it. Other than that, it does fine. And it's in my daily driver.

When in 4wd it locks up and you know it.

I live in east texas so I can't account for the snow. Some say they try to lock when driving on the snow. I don't know how that's possible in 2wd. I can see it if someone had theres in 4WH, or 4WL while driving in the snow. That could be hazardous I would assume. lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have one up front in my TJ. Invisible in 2WD. Best mod ever in 4HI/LO. Buddy of mine installed one last week in his TJ, then we got slammed with 12+ inches of snow and sleet. I asked him about how it handled in all that..... "Sweet". He encountered no issues with it and wintery precip. Go for it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here.

We don't recommend driving in 4WD, with a front Aussie Locker, at highway speeds, in Icy conditions due to under steer and unpredictable behavior from the locker. A rear locker in these situations is just fine and will give you additional traction in the winter.

JK Dana 30's equipped with an Aussie Locker may hear and feel some clicking in the front end when making very tight turns at slow speeds, like turning into a parking spot. Sharpie has it spot on.

Feel free to give us a call anytime!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here.

We don't recommend driving in 4WD, with a front Aussie Locker, at highway speeds, in Icy conditions due to under steer and unpredictable behavior from the locker. A rear locker in these situations is just fine and will give you additional traction in the winter.

JK Dana 30's equipped with an Aussie Locker may hear and feel some clicking in the front end when making very tight turns at slow speeds, like turning into a parking spot. Sharpie has it spot on.

Feel free to give us a call anytime!
Where in Aussie's marketing material or manual for the JK D30 does it say that users will may " hear and feel some clicking"? Would you agree that the sound and feel of this clicking is associated with drive train bind because of the Aussie?

I have no experience with an auto locker outside of an Aussie in a JK D30. What experience I do have, having run one and witnessing the experiences of others, I can safely say that I would not run an auto locker again in a Jeep that was not used just for running on a trail.

Aussie's locker is a truly well built and solid piece that is proudly, :punk:, made in the USA. Their product does as advertised; It automatically locks the front end and unlocks when it's not needed. :thumb:

For a daily driver that is taken off the road, where there will be rather steep and rocky obstacles, then I'd recommend getting a selectable rear locker if funds allow. If that's not an option then make sure that a few extra bucks per corner go into buying a solid set of AT tires. The JK's capabilities out of the box, especially with the factory rear "trash-loc", go beyond what those rigs that an autolocker was initially designed for.

Friend's don't let friends daily their Jeep with auto-lockers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have one in my 13 jku. Works great off road and def makes noise on the road in 2wd, but it works as advertised. I live in socal, so no snow experience.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Where in Aussie's marketing material or manual for the JK D30 does it say that users will may " hear and feel some clicking"? Would you agree that the sound and feel of this clicking is associated with drive train bind because of the Aussie? I have no experience with an auto locker outside of an Aussie in a JK D30.

The clicking that I hear is not the drive train being in a bind. It's the locker itself ratcheting if that makes sense. That's in 2wd under normal driving conditions.

4wd is a different story. The Aussie works as described. I've had it in my front D30 got a while now. No problems at all

·
Registered
430 Posts
Where in Aussie's marketing material or manual for the JK D30 does it say that users will may " hear and feel some clicking"? Would you agree that the sound and feel of this clicking is associated with drive train bind because of the Aussie? I have no experience with an auto locker outside of an Aussie in a JK D30.

The clicking that I hear is not the drive train being in a bind. It's the locker itself ratcheting if that makes sense. That's in 2wd under normal driving conditions.

4wd is a different story. The Aussie works as described. I've had it in my front D30 got a while now. No problems at all
Under turns from about 60 percent turned to 85 percent turned, I will get a rotational light clicking noise that I can hear. Under turns from 85 percent turned, or more, it is a ratcheting noise that can be heard and felt through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I run an Aussie up front. It does great and absolutely cannot beat it for the money. The only time I hear it clicking is with the top and doors off. Completely unnoticed in 2wd except tight turns. IMO and I'm not trying to start another debate on it, but you shouldn't be cruising around at highway or Interstate speeds in 4wd anyway. Living in Utah we get plenty of snow and I did experience a little under steer in the snow but I only use the 4x4 at slower speeds so it was really a non issue. I just had to adjust my driving style s little bit. Like stay out of throttle in the turns if I can....which is good advice on slick surfaces anyways. When I upgrade my front axle I will go with a selectable locker because the one issue I have with it is slick trails and being in an off cambered situation. Sliding sideways can make things interesting. But all in all I am very pleased with the price, performance, and ease of installation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Under turns from about 60 percent turned to 85 percent turned, I will get a rotational light clicking noise that I can hear. Under turns from 85 percent turned, or more, it is a ratcheting noise that can be heard and felt through the steering wheel.
Same here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts