Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my lockers yesterday! Can anyone tell me if the 92 Dana 30 is a "C" clip axle and is there a reason to remove the carrier for the install? Im no green horn to wrenchin but never done anything with gearing.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Just got my lockers yesterday! Can anyone tell me if the 92 Dana 30 is a "C" clip axle and is there a reason to remove the carrier for the install? Im no green horn to wrenchin but never done anything with gearing.
It seems to be hit or miss as to whether they have c-clips or not. My 92 didn't. You will want to take the carrier out. I know they say you can do a Spartan with it in, but I'm not sure about an Aussie. It's a lot easier with it out anyway. Just be careful and remember exactly how the bearings came out, they have to go back in the same exact way. And make sure the carrier doesn't fall out and hit the ground when you remove the bearings. Some carriers just fall out and some have to be worked out.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
dana 30 front axle is not a C-clip.... the dana 35 rear axle in a 92 would be a c-clip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I don't like surprises so now I know what to look forward to when I start

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
dana 30 front axle is not a C-clip.... the dana 35 rear axle in a 92 would be a c-clip.
Some D30s DO have C-clips. I haven't seen one but I've heard of them. Mine even had the channels for the clips, but no clips.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Some D30s DO have C-clips. I haven't seen one but I've heard of them. Mine even had the channels for the clips, but no clips.
Sorry, but unless someone posts up a photo, I don't believe a Jeep YJ ever had a Dana 30 C clip.

It makes no sense for the Dana 30 to have a C clip. The axle is held in by the unit bearing.

Dana 30s were put in other vehicles, so maybe there was a funny configuration at some point, but I don't believe it for YJs. If I'm wrong, post up a picture! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't have a pic because I've never seen one, but if you google it, there were c-clips in earlier YJs. On the inner passenger side shaft I believe. Then they realized they weren't needed, and stopped using them. That's why the shafts have c-clip channels in them.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ok, a C-clip on the passenger side intermediate shaft could make some amount of sense.

Searched and couldn't find a picture, but found this thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=273215&postcount=7

From that thread: "the c clip can be removed the outer axle will hold the inner shaft in. The C-clip I was told by Spicer was put in to keep the inner axle from coming out during assembly and that was all."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts