Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
'01 TJ Sport and '17 JKU Rubicon
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I am going to put an Aussie lunchbox locker in my front Dana 30 which is currently running 3.07 gears. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos and I feel fairly confident that I can do it no problem if I take my time.

For tools it looks like I will need feeler gauges as well as a punch, some new gear oil, a new diff cover seal and some grease, and red loctite, besides your normal basic tool set. Is there anything missing from that list?

The big things for the install I've read are making sure tolerances are correct, making sure the bearings are reinstalled on the correct side, and using star pattern and red loctite to put the carrier cover back on. Would appreciate any other tips or feedback on difficulties that I may encounter. I plan to keep my spider gears in case of any issues.

p.s. is there anything else I should look or do at the same time? checking for play in wheels/ujoints, checking my front brakes, anything else?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Carrier cover? Do you mean the differential cover? If so don't use red (permanent) Loctite on its bolts. You don't really need any Loctite on those particular bolts.

When removing those bolts when starting, remove to keep the top center bolt loosely threaded in while removing the others and prying the cover open and off. That'll prevent it from suddenly falling off into the catch basin and splashing old gear lube everywhere.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carrier cover? Do you mean the differential cover? If so don't use red (permanent) Loctite on its bolts. You don't really need any Loctite on those particular bolts.

When removing those bolts when starting, remove to keep the top center bolt loosely threaded in while removing the others and prying the cover open and off. That'll prevent it from suddenly falling off into the catch basin and splashing old gear lube everywhere.
Don't mean diff cover.

Check
at 11:45. I guess it's called the ring gear (what @Ironhead Jed was referring to).

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
take your time, follow the steps, and make sure you mark the location of your ring gear before removing
What exactly do you mean by marking the location of the ring gear? I know that the orientation of the bearing caps are important. It's orientation within the diff? or how it's bolted on to the carrier?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Yep ring gear bolts need red Loctite on their threads.

Why are you removing the ring gear and bearings to install an Aussie lunchbox locker? Neither of those are normally removed for that job.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep ring gear bolts need red Loctite on their threads.

Why are you removing the ring gear and bearings to install an Aussie lunchbox locker? Neither of those are normally removed for that job.
In the video above, it seems that he removes it in the above video in order to gain better access to the open diff. See 3:15

On the aussie instructions:

page 6, step 8 says "Remove the ring gear."

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually don't think that is the correct section for Dana 30, but this is.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Yes removing the ring gear is sometimes necessary. But that plus him mentioning making sure the bearings are replaced back on the correct sides combined to get me very nervous about what is normally a pretty simple job. Removing/replacing bearings is not a normal part of installing a lunchbox locker. Doing that can screw up the amount of backlash between the ring and pinion gears.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes removing the ring gear is sometimes necessary. But that plus him mentioning making sure the bearings are replaced back on the correct sides combined to get me very nervous about what is normally a pretty simple job. Removing/replacing bearings is not a normal part of installing a lunchbox locker. Doing that can screw up the amount of backlash between the ring and pinion gears.
Do you think it's maybe cause it's an aussie? I know you ran a PowerTrax NoSlip. I'm assuming based on that you didn't have to remove the ring gear for that install? I'd be willing to go another direction if another lunchbox is easier to install.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
With 3.07 gears he might not even need to remove the carrier. I know on 4:11 gears the ring gear is thick enough where you cant remove the cross pin. But with high 3.07 gears it's probably thin enough where you wont have too pull it.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Do you think it's maybe cause it's an aussie? I know you ran a PowerTrax NoSlip. I'm assuming based on that you didn't have to remove the ring gear for that install? I'd be willing to go another direction if another lunchbox is easier to install.
You only have to remove the ring gear if the ring gear blocks the cross pin from being removed. The lower the gears the thicker the ring gear and the smaller the pinion. I know for a fact if you have 4:10 gears you have to pull the ring gear because it blocks the pin. 3.07 gears you might not have too.

You can see in this photo the ring gear teeth block the pin from coming out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You only have to remove the ring gear if the ring gear blocks the cross pin from being removed. The lower the gears the thicker the ring gear and the smaller the pinion. I know for a fact if you have 4:10 gears you have to pull the ring gear because it blocks the pin. 3.07 gears you might not have too.

You can see in this photo the ring gear teeth block the pin from coming out.

I didn’t even realize that we why he was removing it. Seems to me if I don’t have to remove the carrier at all, my chances of success go way up!

without removing the carrier, is it possible to remove the “roll pin”or whatever the pin is that holds the cross pin in?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Not absolutely necessary but I’d get a lube locker gasket for the diff cover. I’ve had no issues with mine.
IMG_7222.png

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
without removing the carrier, is it possible to remove the “roll pin”or whatever the pin is that holds the cross pin in?

I forgot about that detail i was thinking it had a bolt/pin like the D35. It seems like when i put on in a friends the problem we ran into was the cross pin hitting the ring gear. It's been a long time since i put one in a D30 so i don't remember all of the details i just know the cross pin does hit on the 4.11 ring gear.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
I didn’t even realize that we why he was removing it. Seems to me if I don’t have to remove the carrier at all, my chances of success go way up!

Yes, the cross pin can be removed so you can install the locker without removing the carrier. The last D35 cross pin I removed was held in by a long skinny bolt that I removed with a 12 pt. 1/4" socket. Can you tell if what is holding your in is a bolt or a roll pin that you drive out with a punch and hammer?

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
What exactly do you mean by marking the location of the ring gear?
I've only installed it on a d30 with 3.73 and I had to remove the ring gear.
I just put a few marks with a sharpie on the ring gear and carrier so I knew the ring gear would go back in the same position.

x2 on the lube locker

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Unlike some other components, the ring gear doesn't care if it gets reinstalled in the same orientation/position. The bearing caps definitely do though.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, the cross pin can be removed so you can install the locker without removing the carrier. The last D35 cross pin I removed was held in by a long skinny bolt that I removed with a 12 pt. 1/4" socket. Can you tell if what is holding your in is a bolt or a roll pin that you drive out with a punch and hammer?
I haven't checked yet, but the video I included above is a D30. The guy installing it drives a roll pin out with punch and hammer, so I am assuming that will be what I have to do.

Thanks for all the tips and info! I will be tackling this in the next few weeks and reporting back :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts