Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody on here ran the Aussie lockers? This is my DD, and will see some trail riding, a little sand pit action, and maybe a hill or two. After spending 8 hours washing it again Sunday, it probally wont be seeing any mud in the near future. In Florida, the odds of mountain climbing and rock crawling are pretty slim. Any opinions on this Aussie locker for mild use?
Thanks, Mack

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I run a lock right up front which is virtually the exact same as the Aussie. It would be a good choice if you are looking for a relatively cheap way to gain a traction device.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm going to install one when I get the time and money. I've heard nothing but good things from lots of people.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I guess I'll try a pair of them, and see how they do.
Thanks,, Mack

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
umm a pair?, i owuld suggest jus tthe front for better on road driving and if your gonna lock the back then a limited slip for the rear or a manual locker, but for the front they're awesome!

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't put auto lockers front and rear would be if you lived in a climate that had snow and ice part of the year. Mack lives in Florida, so he would have no concern. I live in Arizona, I'm locked f&r. I'm not concerned.

Now you on the other hand living in Mass, you would want selectable lockers due to the extreme weather you have to drive in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am planning on an Aussie up front and when I regear, I will go with the Detroit in the rear D44.

Everyone that I have spoken to that run Aussie's love them.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
even for the front?
You could get away with having an auto locker up front for the majority of the year. However when you put it in 4wd in the snow then it's going to cause you more grief than help.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
:rolleyes: So auto locker in front = bad in snow.:doh:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
so if I were to put an aussie in front, but from what this board is saying (I live in oregon, where is sometimes snows and rains like a M/F) is that for my conditions I shouldn't do it if I like to go and play durring the times that its fun? what would you recommend for the rear D35? I've heard from different people that no locker should go in back cause its not a strong enough axle???

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
You are correct on the rear Dana 35c axle not being strong enough for a locker.

In the front, an auto locker like a No-Slip (which has the best manners) or a Lockrite/Aussie (essentially the exact same locker) are fine until you shift into 4Hi or 4Low. Only on a really slick icy surface could a front automatic locker potentially cause problems in 2wd. It'd be fine on roads that are simply wet from rain so long as you remain in 2wd. :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
so in my situation its not a good idea to run that locker? should I just save up and get something better? what would reccomend?

sorry that I just hi-jacked the thread.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
For area's that see a significant amount of snow/ice in the winter a selectable locker is going to be your best and safest bet. Something like an ARB, Ox, Eaton, etc....

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
k so I'll wait

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
It would be for the best. Hell even in 2wd if I stomp it and down shift hard my rear locker will try and dictate what lane I'm in. :D

They are more expensive, but if I lived in any other part of the country and still wheeled then I would have selectable lockers front and rear.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
so if I wanted something in a realistic price range...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts