Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 JK Sport and was wondering if the Aussie locker for the front axial is a good unit for mild off roading I have Track Lock on the rear axial. I also tow it behind my motor home and I dont know if this would cause any problems.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was going to get an Aussie but my installer talked me into a detroit locker not a trutrac I am glad he did I cant tell its there until i ingage 4 wheel dr.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There has been many discussions on here and other 4x4 related forums whether or not to get an Aussie or lunch box locker in the front axle and the consensus is usually yes in a warm climate and no in a cold one that sees snow and ice as a lunch box locker in the front in icy or packed snow conditions can cause handling issues around turns to the point of loss of control. If you stay in 2 wheel drive in those conditions on the street then you should be ok.

A selectable locker would imo be a much better choice if you live up north (as I see you do).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Mody n Domy,

There are no issues towing behind a motorhome with a front Aussie Locker.

We don't recommend driving in 4WD, at highway speeds, with a front auto locker in Icy conditions. Most of our customers leave it in 2WD at these speeds, kicking into 4WD around town is typically just fine. The main issues with Icy conditions is the possibility for one tire to be on dry pavement and one on Ice, this could cause the locker to ratchet unpredictably. If you had a front and rear locker in packed snow, you could experience understeer in a corner.

Feef free to give us a call anytime - 585-723 - 14 89

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have an aussie locker in the front of my jk and love it. I live in Utah.... The slogan on the license plate is the best snow on earth.

To all of those people saying don't do it if you live somewhere where it snows I ask why not? It's fine on the streets in 4x4. You just have to change your driving style a little bit in the snow. Like easing off the gas in a corner.... which you should be doing anyways.

Secondly if you're going fast enough for your autolocker to give you issues then you shouldn't even be in 4x4 in the first place. The locker is completely unnoticeable in 2wd and thats what you should be in at highway speeds anyhow. As far as I'm concerned it was one of my best investments. You can't beat it for the price and ease of install. I've loved it. Selectable lockers are top notch but for someone looking to lock up the front and not break the bank this is a great way to do that. That being said, I will eventually be going to a selectable but only when I'm ready to upgrade my axles and gears.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for every ones input I full time RV and run to warm weather in the winter to keep out of snow, 58 years of the white stuff was plenty for me. I will have to see if I can fit it in to my budget and have one installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts