Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed an Aussie locker in the rear(D 44) of my TJ. Every thing seem to go fine and the spin test was perfect. Here is the Question. From a standing stop going forward very slowly in a tight turn to the left I get the soft clicking that I expected. However, do the same thing to the right and its very loud, more like a banging. Even coasting its louder going right. Now, if I leave the wheels hard right, where its loud and just back up, its the quit clicking I get when going forward to the left. Same thing with my wheels hard left where its fairly quite going forward,leave them there and back up its loud. Any thoughts on this are welcome, Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Bump for ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the bump. I took the jeep out in the boonies this morning to give the Aussies the acid test and they performed perfectly. I think they are getting quieter the more I use them, although there is still a difference in the sound (on pavement) between turning left and right, it seems to have no effect on the function. Anyway, I am going to start putting Aussie's in my front end today. Lot of traction for the buck and I'm starting to like that clicking sound !:D
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
How does it handle the pavement? Rain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I only have the locker installed in the rear, so it could change when I get the front installed, but right now you can't even tell it's there when your just going down the road. Don't know when I'll get to try it in the rain, but I know I'll have the front done before it rains again so it will be a good test. Took it up in the rocks this morning, had one tire hanging out in space and in two wheel drive so I could really test the locker. It just pulled right out like it was on level ground with no fuss. Did the same with the other wheel. Then went through some deep ruts at a angle where I always had trouble with open diff's. No trouble. My TJ is a 97 sport w/ a 2" lift and 31" mud terrain's.
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
Ive been looking at em, the only thing holding me back (besides funds) is the road manners 70% of people like em and the other 30% hate em in the rear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had the money I would have put E-Lockers on the rear end. Probably a lot better around town, especially in parking lots. Don't now what to expect on Ice, but I rarely have to deal with it out here in the Desert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
It may quit down a bit as it "breaks in" but count on it continuing to make load noises and handling funny on pavement. I am one of those people that doesn't like an auto-locking devise in the rear of a short wheelbase vehicle. They can be unpredictable on the road. A friend of mine wanted to install a lunchbox locker in the rear of his TJ and I talked him into installing one in the front only and he is glad he did. If you can put up with the annoyances you can't beat them for the money and ease of install.
 

·
Jeeper
Joined
·
5,096 Posts
Ive got one in the front.Its not bad in 2wd,clicking,slightly.But in 4wd when turning on the trails ,wow.Not quiet or even close.Man that thing is noisy! I thought something was wrong so I took it back apart,did my measurements again and even installed a new pin & shims/washers just in case,even called Aussie.Still noisy so I just live with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
RonaldL said:
If I had the money I would have put E-Lockers on the rear end. Probably a lot better around town, especially in parking lots. Don't now what to expect on Ice, but I rarely have to deal with it out here in the Desert.
Yeah, it snows quite a bit here. Just a word of advise.. Stay off of snow covered roads or ice.. You'll be in the ditch.. They will not unlock when cornering in those conditions..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I've been beating on front and rear Aussie's for a couple years. They were loud/tight at first but loosened up after a bit. I am even on my second set of pins/springs. As far as driving in snow or slick roads, I have never had it get away from me, I was concerned reading all the doomsday stuff about putting in a front lunch box locker but yet another web myth. The heep is my daily driver in the winter due to the plow being on my truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
moe said:
I've been beating on front and rear Aussie's for a couple years. They were loud/tight at first but loosened up after a bit. I am even on my second set of pins/springs. As far as driving in snow or slick roads, I have never had it get away from me, I was concerned reading all the doomsday stuff about putting in a front lunch box locker but yet another web myth. The heep is my daily driver in the winter due to the plow being on my truck.
Nothing wrong with one up front on ice/snow, and a really good driver might get by with a lunch box out back,,, but here in the Noreast I don't know anyone that uses a lunchbox in the rear in their daily driver.. Nothing doom and gloom about it, it's just physics..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
I heard that for the d44 you need to change out a carrier for an open diff carrier. Ithought it would e good to add this in here. D/S32684 is the carrier for 3.92 and up gears. This is a part number my friend gave me for it.
 

·
Knows a couple things...
Joined
·
49,624 Posts
Ive been looking at em, the only thing holding me back (besides funds) is the road manners 70% of people like em and the other 30% hate em in the rear
The only lunchbox locker I recommend for the rear is the No-Slip made by Powertrax. Of all the lunchbox lockers, it is by far the best behaved when in the rear axle. Up front, all of them are pretty much the same handling-wise but in the rear, I personally would only run the No-Slip if I wanted a lunchbox locker there. When in the rear, the No-Slip is nearly as well behaved as the Detroit Locker is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have completed the install of the Aussie's on the front and rear of mt 97 tj. It has the 3.55 ratio and d-30 up front and d-44 rear. I had to replace the Track loc in the 44 with an open carrier. The front went fine, although, I replaced one carrier bearing that was pitting. The rear went fine also, except that it was very noisy on pavement when turning tight. I got worried that something might be wrong so I pulled it out and put it on the bench, took it apart to look it over. Nothing wrong so I put it back in. I did replace my axle bearings and seals while it was handy. Anyway it's still noisy and dry pavement handling in a parking lot is bad, but just going down the highway is quiet. Out in the rocks they both work perfectly. I plan on taking good advice about snow and ice covered pavement. If the one in the rear ever breaks though, I'll probably replace it with an e- locker or somthing similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
konqrrr said:
Any regrets yet? Im considering one for my rear D 44
I have absolutely no regrets... I'm an even bigger fan of the Aussie now.. I have 2 bud's that have Spartan lockers in theirs (1 for just a couple trips) Super bad noisy, they sound like axles snapping all the time, the Aussie was never as loud as theirs, we were out in Attica 2 weeks ago and had one of them snap the springs on their Spartan on an easy climb..
 

·
Knows a couple things...
Joined
·
49,624 Posts
Any regrets yet? Im considering one for my rear D 44
For the rear axle, I strongly recommend the No-Slip by Powertrax. It is MUCH better behaved when in the rear axle than any of the other lunchbox lockers. That's the only lunchbox locker I will recommend for the rear axle since rear axle operation is a much more difficult environment for a locker to be well behaved in. :)
 

·
Jeeper
Joined
·
5,096 Posts
For the rear axle, I strongly recommend the No-Slip by Powertrax. It is MUCH better behaved when in the rear axle than any of the other lunchbox lockers. That's the only lunchbox locker I will recommend for the rear axle since rear axle operation is a much more difficult environment for a locker to be well behaved in. :)
What makes the No-Slip different then other lunchbox lockers? I want a ARB in the rear & I have an Aussie on the front but would be scared to put one in the rear.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top