Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about the aussie lockers?? I have a dana 35 rear and dana30 front. They seem pretty well built and i like that they are built in the us What do you think??

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Ive been researching these for awhile, all reviews of the product were excellent. These are only built for front Dana 30's, and would be horrible if placed in the rear since its an auto locker. The only problem i heard was annoying clicking when doing sharp turns, and are bad on snow/ice in 4wd.

·
Registered
483 Posts
aussies are great! if you dont plan plan to go over 33 the 35 will hold up with cromoly shafts
no snow here

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Aussie lockers IMO are the best "lunch box" locker on the market. I've never heard of any issues. I run one in the front on my cj7.

They do not have exactly nice driving behavior so if you experience a lot of snow they may not be ideal. They significantly increase your traction off road and are a great price and don't require a shop to install (depending on your skill set). The only drawback offroad is you loose some turning do the front end being locked. In most cases this isn't a big deal.

If you are on a budget I would recommend one in the front. The rear is another story because of the behaviors it would not be as fun.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ive been researching these for awhile, all reviews of the product were excellent. These are only built for front Dana 30's, and would be horrible if placed in the rear since its an auto locker. The only problem i heard was annoying clicking when doing sharp turns, and are bad on snow/ice in 4wd.
They make them for the Dana 35 too. Had one in the rear of my XJ. I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver though. Im going with an Aussie up front.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
How did it handle on road with the aussie in the rear only? My yj is not my DD but does get driven frequently to work and back. Did it make turns awkward?

·
Registered
427 Posts
My cherokee was a 5-speed so it really handled awkward on the street. The locker locked and unlocked all the time around turns. You'll get used to it, but it sucked daily driving. If you have an auto, it would be much easier to control and live with.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It is an auto, I know a front end only would be a terrible option as I live in Iowa and we get lots of snow. Just looking for an alternative option to spending $1k on an selectable locker. Anyone ever used one of those cable lock kits off ebay? I'm thinking you get what you pay for but havent seen any reviews of them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Are you talking about the posi-loks? If so, they are not true lockers. They only replace the vacuum disconnect on the front axle with a cable that you manually operate. You would still have an open differential.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts