Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hardtop JK with factory tinted windows. I was out and about tonight and I tried to see if there was any difference with the auto dimming mirror being 'off' or 'on'. I didn't see a lick of difference in the rear view mirror with traffic behind me tonight. Do you think the factory tint pretty much took care of any headlight 'glare' from the rear and the mirror didn't have anything to work with? (The map lights work normally, they switch on and off, the green auto dimming indicator turns on/off with the switch.)

Edit: I turned on the inside dome light (while parked in my garage) and hit the rear view mirror dimming switch. I could tell it transitioned from dimmed to not dimmed and back (slowly). Probably the factory hardtop tint takes a good deal of the 'glare' too. But the mirror does work properly.
It is also supposed to dim the drivers side outside mirror. (I didn't check that tonight.)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the full factory tint on my '14 and I have to agree with you. I don't see a difference when I turn off/on the mirror.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the auto dimming mirror in my 14 as well. It relies on two sensors, one on the front of the mirror getting brightness from behind, one on the back of the mirror getting the ambient light from in front of the vehicle.

I find it often depends on the roads I'm driving on and even oncoming traffic. If there is a lot of oncoming traffic it rarely dims (My guess is it sees light in front, light behind, and assumes its daytime and doesn't activate), on the other hand if i'm parked in a covered area inside (like a raised parking garage with light behind and dark in front), it frequently dims, well goes green.

As for the dimming divers side mirror, I was not aware that was a feature that was even available, I certainly don't have it on my power group package.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2014 Jeep Wrangler Automatic Dimming Mirrors - YouTube

Nothing about the drivers side mirror in the Owners Guide, but the youtube video above mentions it for equipped 2014 models. I'll try it later today.

Edit: tried it on my 2014 Sport 'S' with power mirrors, and the outside drivers side mirror did not appear to dim. Wishful thinking I guess on somebody's part, maybe it will show up in the future JL's...

·
Registered
85 Posts
HATE your Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror? Try this first...

I was trying to figure out a way to uninstall the auto-dimming feature on my rear view mirror. It was always on and darker than it should be. I kept pressing the button on the mirror to turn it off. Then I had my windshield replaced and the repair man placed my FAST PASS on the passenger side of the mirror vs. the drivers side. Guess what? That solved the problem. There is a sensor on the back of the rear view mirror. My Fast Pass was blocking the sensor. For more on the sensor: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/what-does-this-sensor-do-on-back-of-rearview-mirror-357713.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts