Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a real good 4wd place install a lock-rite locker in my front differential. Now, I'm getting a sound that for all the world sounds like pieces of metal hanging down dragging on the road when i drive. You can hear it and slow speeds just not real loud. At 40mph it's near deafining. They say it might be normal for the locker to have some noise associated with it, but, probably not this much. What do you think ? Do lockers have an inherent noise ? If not, what do you think it might be ? Especially for the Lock-Rite ?

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Take it back.. they didn't install something right.. In a YJ with the stock 4wd system you shouldn't hear much of anything, in a TJ/CJ etc... you might get some minor clicking sounds if you make a sharp slow speed turn as the gear teeth run past each other.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take it back.. they didn't install something right.. In a YJ with the stock 4wd system you shouldn't hear much of anything, in a TJ/CJ etc... you might get some minor clicking sounds if you make a sharp slow speed turn as the gear teeth run past each other.
Yea I would take it back and make them recheck everything, I don't have a locker but the only noise my yj makes in 4wd is the sound of the little vacuum engager

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My Aussie locker makes no noise at all. I'd take your jeep back there and get it fixed before it messes everything up, if it hasn't already.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Getting that shim right for a locker install is very tricky, if it detonates inside the axle you are going to have a bad day, take it back asap

·
Registered
98 Posts
My lock rite in the front makes almost no noise at all, minor clicking and popping in sharp turns or reversing. When they figure out what's wrong have them also put thicker gear oil in it, that really takes the noise out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Agreed. Take it back. Even my full-on Detroit Locker didn't make any noise after it broke in (about 5 miles).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take it back as the others have said. You shouldn't hear it at all going straight. I don't even hear mine when turning (got my cad locked). If your CAD is stock it should not be engaging at all in 2wd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts