Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a LJ Rubicon either stick or auto.

Ive been in the wheeling life but with zjs, xjs, wjs have 2 atm on 35s long arms etc axles

Be my first wrangler time for something with a frame

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had both. I love driving my manual as a daily driver but when I'm on harder trails, I sometimes wish for my auto back. So I would say it really depends on how you plan to use it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Manual is excellent for regular use on road and simple trails... Love my 5 speed more than my own child (just kidding)... but on the other hand if you are serious about trail riding, rock climbing, and deep ass mud I would go with auto. Reason behind that is mostly your attention needs to be in front of you and not on lifting the clutch at the right time, stalling out or bogging out in the wrong spot at the wrong time may mean your finding a tree or someone to pull you out haha

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
The more difficult my trails have become, the more my decision to convert from a manual to an automatic transmission years ago has been affirmed as a good one. I'd prefer a manual for a sportscar but the more difficult the off road trail, the more an automatic shines. Not to mention most winners of rock crawling competitions are running automatics. The crew that won the EMC class event three years in a row at King of the Hammers was running an automatic. Kinda says something doesn't it? :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have an auto and wouldn't switch. I have also heard as others noted above, that an auto is a good choice for any rock crawling or heavy wheeling you might do.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Asking if it better. Because the 42re in gc sucks completely
That's impossible to say without knowing exactly what sucks about your 42RE. The 42RLE's primary source of complaints is its .69 Overdrive ratio which is too steep.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread but how about the earlier Auto? How does it compare on the trail and/or road?
If you mean the 3-speed 32RH automatic, it is superb. That's the automatic I converted my previous TJ to use and I loved it. Its reputation is that of being nearly bulletproof so long as you don't fill with it water by driving through water that is stupid-deep. It doesn't have an Overdrive but that was a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread but how about the earlier Auto? How does it compare on the trail and/or road?
In my opinion the 3 speed transmissions back in the day are a tank when it comes to trail riding, not really great for on road use strictly because the way they are geared your top speeds are terrible and scarey without modifying a few things first. Always keep in mind though auto's will always be a better choice on heavy trails due to the idea that you can pay attention to what your doing and not worry about the aspect of shifting.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I like the standard for off-road simply for the gear ratios and ease of control over the Wrangler both up and downhill. Stalling hasn't been an issue at all even when pointing uphill and most especially in 4L.

The 42RLE transmission ratios are:
First 2.84:1
Second 1.57:1
Third 1.00:1
Overdrive 0.69:1
Reverse 2.21:1

NSG370
First 4.46:1
Second 2.61:1
Third 1.72:1
Fourth 1.25:1
Fifth 1.00:1
Sixth 0.84:1
Reverse 4.06:1

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
What most people don't understand when quoting or comparing manual to automatic 1st gear ratios is they don't know to take into account the torque converter's effect on it.

The automatic's torque converter gives what is in effect an infinitely low 1st gear ratio so to compare the gear ratios will fool those who don't understand that benefit. With my automatic's torque converter, it can creep like it had a 20:1 or 50:1 1st gear ratio, regardless of its geared ratio. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion the 3 speed transmissions back in the day are a tank when it comes to trail riding, not really great for on road use strictly because the way they are geared your top speeds are terrible and scarey without modifying a few things first.
Sorry but what would need to be modified?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
In my opinion the 3 speed transmissions back in the day are a tank when it comes to trail riding, not really great for on road use strictly because the way they are geared your top speeds are terrible and scary without modifying a few things first. Always keep in mind though autos will always be a better choice on heavy trails due to the idea that you can pay attention to what your doing and not worry about the aspect of shifting.
I dunno about your experience with TJs with the 3-speed automatic but mine was fine even on the highway... I drove my previous TJ with its 3-speed automatic at any speed I deemed safe on the highway. And I have no idea what modifications you could be thinking of that would benefit its top speed ability without making the axle ratio too high... unless you're talking an external Overdrive which I doubt you are.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well someone has to disagree :hide:so I guess its me, I looked around for awhile to find my 6 speed. :action-smiley:

:iamhappy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts