Votes: 10 3.1%
  • I got an auto but wish I went manual

Votes: 9 2.8%
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love manual transmissions in sports cars not so much on a truck or suv. For me it's really fun to drive a sporty car with a stick, on a truck or Jeep it seems, well not so fun. For me it's probably because of the long throw and rather clunky feel of manual transmission in trucks, Jeeps etc. I test drove a Mazda speed3 and a VW GTI and man those things were fun to drive with a stick. Yesterday I test drove a 2012 Jeep Unlimited with a stick and I wasnt loving the manual transmission. There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt have that sporty feel. Of course the salesman is pushing the 12's and said they have really good deal available on them. I really like this Unlimited but I worried down the road I'm going to regret not going for an auto. For a really good deal I can probably deal with the stick but I'm on the fence about it. So my question is how many of you guys like auto vs stick or stick vs auto or bought on or the other and then regretted your purchase.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
this is an old question/ debate and I personally don't feel there is a "right" answer. My '04 is a stick, and when I am off road, slopping through the mud and feel it bogging down, I like how quick I can pull it out of gear, jam it in reverse and dump the clutch, and back out of trouble before I get stuck. Than pick a slightly different line and hit it again. I also like when I am climbing a slick muddy hill being able to pick a gear and keep it there even when tires are spinning and in an auto it might shift to a higher gear, unless I MANUALLY pick a gear with the gear selector in the automatic. I don't know that an automatic like the one in my '12 would work as well...I understand the computers are fast but I still have to think to go from one gear to another, and the SLIGHT hesitation where the computer realizes I have changed gears and allows revs to match before actually shifting would not be as fast as a mechanical link in my '04's tranny.

My '12 is an automatic and since it is used only on the street, (mall crawler) the auto works fine and there are enough "idiot controls" that not much care needs to be given in driving it, it corrects for to fast corners or to hard accelerations. The ride is also better.

Bottom line, and this has been said many times, what are you going to use it for? Also keep in mind it is really a personal preference...but I know it is one of the reasons that at Jeep events, my '12 plays Taxi to get everyone there and my'04 is the one being driven and flogged through the mud!! I know my '04 and what it can do, I don't want to hurt/ the "Good" Jeep, (the '12) so it doesn't get the chance.....maybe I am selling it short?!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
"Stick" It's a F'ing "Jeep" Nuff Said!

50 Something

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Since I use my '10 more as a DD, and sometimes in traffic, I much prefer auto. And the new tranny is supposed to be great.

S

·
Registered
147 Posts
At 44 yrs old I have had many vehicles with some being sports cars and others trucks. I would guess the total thus far would be at least 12 vehicles over my lifetime. Out of all these one was an automatic and it left me stranded with transmission troubles 2 times before it was traded.

I have never had a manual leave me stranded. Yes I have had many that have that damn throw out bearing chirp and some were not as smooth as others however a manual driven correctly is simply hard to break.

I also like a manual for the fact it can be push started if the battery fails. For me they are simply more fun to drive and I feel a little more secure knowing it will most likely not fail to the point I am stranded.

Go to most any mechanic shop and ask what they repair more of. The few I have spoken with all say they replace autos much more than manuals. Now this may be simply because autos are bought much more today than manuals however again I feel better with a manual.

I have been searching for a new Jeep for this entire year and turned down some excellent deals due to an auto transmission. I now have had to order a 2013 to get what I want and even then the manuals were limited for a while. If you check some other high end makers they are not even providing a manual anymore. They have that crappy paddle shifter thing they say shifts like a manual however it is far from a true manual.

I am not sure when it changed however manuals are growing much more rare these days. Those of us who will drive nothing but a manual are also a dying breed. I honestly believe in the next 5 years we will all have no choice but to convert to autos and if so I will simply buy used to keep my manual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess because I'm old enough, when I was in the Army ( in the 1970's ) and they still had jeeps, they were all manual, so to me a jeep with an auto trans is a jeep with training wheels. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I test drove a 13 GTI with the DSG tranny. Thats an auto with a mode that mimics a manuel. You dont shift it, it shifts itself and does a really good job of mimicing a manuel. I thought it was a really cool feature. Little off topic but just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not sure when it changed however manuals are growing much more rare these days. Those of us who will drive nothing but a manual are also a dying breed. I honestly believe in the next 5 years we will all have no choice but to convert to autos and if so I will simply buy used to keep my manual.
I read last week where the percentage of vehicles manufactured with a manual is down to 7 or 17%. I can't remember the actual value they stated, but both are very low. I think the article was actually linked from someone on this forum. One of the reasons listed was 'people no longer are shown how to operate them'.

I'm about your age and most of my vehicles have had manual transmissions as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Allow me to interpret what the manual drivers actually mean:

Autos are for ham-fisted, fat-headed, lazy twits who have their cell phones permanently attached to the sides of their silly heads while driving through the mall parking lot with the fog lights on and their never-used snorkel held high.

Oh, and they should not be allowed to breed. :D

We now resume your regularly scheduled programming...

·
Registered
208 Posts
"Stick" It's a F'ing "Jeep" Nuff Said!
Yesterday, I test drove a 2k13 Sahara Unlimited with the 6 speed manual! I'll have to make another thread about it but just to let ya know. It had not driven a manual transmission since 1997!!! The salesman just told me (with some "more-correct-words" the above quote! :D

I had fun like a kid shifting the Jeep and no stall during my test drive... Except when I parked it at the end and went into reverse... Everything went fine up to the last second when I forgot it I was driving a manual and forgot about it. I stalled it right in it's place! lol.

Anyway, to those still questionning about stick or auto, don't worry!! The Wrangler is super easy to be driven with a manual! Go for it and save a few $$$ for some mods!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Auto for these reasons:

- I hear nothing but complaints with the 6-speed in 2012s

- Boston traffic sucks with a stick

- All traffic sucks with a stick

- It's not a sports car, therefore not as fun to shift in

- Don't have to replace a clutch ever

- The 5-speed auto in the 2012s is so friggin' smooth I love it

- Easier off road (Don't have a 4:1 TC)

I would never get a stick Jeep. But that's just my opinion =]

P.S. I have owned many manual cars

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where is the option for both? I have a manual 2012 and a auto 2012. For off-road I definately prefer the 5 speed auto.
2012 Grand Cherokee 'HERS' = Auto

2013 JK 'HIS' = manual (she can't drive hehehehehehe!)

I mean this in the best possible way, driving my manual JK reminds me of driving a small bus ... perhaps a 'short' one. ;)

Now, if it was only a diesel, the effect would be complete.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just got an automatic based on how I will usually drive it... I have had both over the years and have been in the shop with my sticks more than my automatics but just see that as coincidental. I will be using my jeep as a family vehicle around the burbs so decided on an automatic so I can multitask. I have a 76 mgb stick (superfun) and BMW 5 series auto. Had I gotten a sports car I would go stick or the rubicon for weekend offroading only, I would have gone with a stick.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Let's just hope that Chrysler notes that the poll result here is about 50% manual (or that they have similar market research) to justify continuing to offer a manual. I had to special order just to get one. The dealer lots are filled with automatics around here.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
lolpetewtf said:
Auto for these reasons:

- I hear nothing but complaints with the 6-speed in 2012s

- Boston traffic sucks with a stick

- All traffic sucks with a stick

- It's not a sports car, therefore not as fun to shift in

- Don't have to replace a clutch ever

- The 5-speed auto in the 2012s is so friggin' smooth I love it

- Easier off road (Don't have a 4:1 TC)

I would never get a stick Jeep. But that's just my opinion =]

P.S. I have owned many manual cars
Boston sucks anyways .... Oh wait you are talking about the roads :hide:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Prior to 2012, i would have chosen a manual. The new 5 speed pushed me over the edge to go auto. It is the perfect fit for the JK unlike the old 4 speed. No performance penalty anymore and it shifts just right. The only reason to pick the 6 speed now is if you are dead set on a manual or want to save the extra $1400 the auto costs.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts