Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a upr shifter that just tightens down with an allen screw it has a button in the center to engage the auto locking mechanism. I was wondering how to remove the factory shifter. I didn't see a set screw anywhere. It has some back and forth play in it but I wasn't sure if it just unscrewed or what. But this upr shifter has some sentimental value and it'd mean alot if I could get it installed.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
You can try gently tapping it on the bottom of the handle on both sides. Like said before be careful you can either knock yourself out or give yourself a black eye. If you wear glasses take them off first.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Don't be tempted to rock/twist the T-handle.
It WILL come off with a firm, even force.

Like everyone has said, be prepared for when it 'lets go'.
And put it in whatever gear suits so that you can pull it straight up.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
The OP mentioned it in the very first long sentence in this thread. Would you like another cup of coffee? :D
Well, now that you mention it, I am just now finishing my first cup of coffee as I write this. :p

I did read the part about the button but does that mean that entire big shift pattern plate is the release button?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the whole top center piece pushes down.

But from a distance and especially with a leather shift boot, it very much resembles a manual. A look I am quite fond of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts