Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm think of doing a Manuel transmission conversion does anyone how hard it would be. And what other parts I'd have to buy. Well here's the list of what I'd need .

Ecm same model year and motor but for Manuel trans
Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch and flywheel
Manuel trans

I can't really think of what esle I'd need . And don't say your better off with selling the jeep and find a Manuel jeep cuz I know.

If y'all could give me of info of what y'all I'd need would be great

Thanks
Jeepdipper

·
Registered
114 Posts
No offense but save youre money. Spend the money you would have spent on other things, less headaches.

So I'm think of doing a Manuel transmission conversion does anyone how hard it would be. And what other parts I'd have to buy. Well here's the list of what I'd need .

Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch and flywheel
Manuel trans

I can't really think of what esle I'd need . And don't say your better off with selling the jeep and find a Manuel jeep cuz I know.

If y'all could give me of info of what y'all I'd need would be great

Thanks
Jeepdipper

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want to do the v8 swap with a 318 or 360 but I can't find a good donor truck to get so to me that's the next best thing

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch and flywheel
Manuel trans
clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.
shifter, shift boot

That should be it.
You may have to swap the drive shafts as well. When I went from an ax-15 5 speed to a 32rh auto, the auto tranny was 1 1/2" shorter than the 5 speed.

I used to front driveshaft from the donor jeep and I did an 8.8 rear axle swap at the same time so I it stuck out far enough for my rear drive shaft to be okay.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Most astute Jeep owners want to go the other way, from manual (not manuel) to an automatic transmission. The tougher the trail and the better built the rig, the more likely you'll see a Jeep with an automatic.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Most astute Jeep owners want to go the other way, from manual (not manuel) to an automatic transmission. The tougher the trail and the better built the rig, the more likely you'll see a Jeep with an automatic.
Hi J,, I've been wheelin a lot of decades, here in Pa, and a lifetime ago, Mohave Desert, Big Tajunga, Baja etc,, , not much hard core, but always built up just enough to go where most cannot. I've always run manuals, still do, back in the day, (70s and 80s) the autos were rare, and unreliable. Ive even helped tow a couple guys back with their blown autos.. Help me out here, I consider myself to be an astute, ( hard headed clinging to intelligent, practical ideas ) when it comes to wheelin,. When, how, and why did autos become more practical? ( short of competition rigs, I get that ). Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
It's impossible to say when automatics became what they are today, reliable devices that work well for offroading. I wouldn't have used my old uncle's automatics of the 50's, they simply weren't all that reliable then, but I'd happily wheel with something like the 32RH that has been used in many model years of Jeeps. Like an engine that needs proper care, today's automatics are reliable if they get reasonable and proper care. They only need to be kept from overheating too badly and keep water out of them to be very reliable.

Having converted my previous TJ from its OE manual to the 32RH 3-speed automatic, I can say that conversion did more to further its offroading abilities than anything else I ever did to the Jeep with the sole exception of its front and rear lockers.

More low-end torque, up to 2-3X, and the infinitely low first gear ratio courtesy of its torque converter are two amazing benefits of an automatic. I've been driving manual transmissions since the early sixties but I wouldn't choose one for a Jeep I take offroad on trails more difficult than an easy trail where a manual transmission works as well. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts