Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 JKU with auto tran and 4.1 diff and approx 150k kms on the odometer.

When stopped against even a small object I have to get motor up to (what seems to me) a high rpm number before the vehicle will roll over the object. Also, if stopped at a traffic signal on a slope with even a moderate grade if i take foot off the brake the jeep will roll backward when tranny is in drive. Is this normal? Prior to this jeep my previous vehicles have all been standard trans. But i have driven auto tran vehicles plenty and do not remember any being this "loose".

Do yall think my tranny needs some adjustments?

The tranny was serviced with fluid and filter change at 130k kms. Fluid level in the tran is normal.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is like this too - it will roll backwards on an incline in D. And pointing downhill, reverse is even worse. I've been told it's normal for the JK, but I only have direct experience with my own. 115000 miles and it's been like that since 0, so it hasn't gotten any worse as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
483 Posts
All auto trannys have a stall, or rpm point at which they start to put power out. This is based on torque output of motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that is the case then is there a purpose served for having the JK's rpm threshold as high as it is?

For example another problem i have run into is accelerating on the highway in traffic. Merging into the faster lanes from a slower speed requires having to "punch" the gas pedal and it seems usually at this particular merge spot at this point the tran is in 3rd gear and drops to 2nd but the acceleration after the drop in gear is sometimes not enough so will give it a little more gas and the thing will drop down into 1st. This is at about 40-50 kpm at this point. Dropping into 1st at that speed means the rpms shoot up to 4000+ which is pointless cause there is little acceleration left in the motor at those rpms and of course the jeep doesnt pick up speed but just races the motor. So i let off the gas a little and it drops back into 2nd. I am thinking the drop into 1st at those rpms is due to the "looseness" of the transmission/torque converter? I cannot believe it was engineered to do that. Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You are in a 4wd vehicle that weighs in at around 4500 ish, and only having 200 HP. Four cylinders have more power than that nowadays.

My suggestion would be test drive a one with a 3.6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts