Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will go on my first Jeep Jamboree in November with my first Jeep, 2013 Wrangler. Just took delivery at the end of Sept and will have little time to get off road before the Jamboree.

My specific question is to those who have experience with the 2012-2013 paddle -/+ automatic trans off-road. The Jeep OM, p440, recommends running the autos in D in mud, but doesn't address other terrain types. In the mid-90's I ran a Range Rover with auto and in mountainous terrain they recommended running in 3rd gear, allowing the trans to shift automatically between 1 and 3, but never above 3. As a rookie I always used 3 when in low range with great result in all terrain types.

So how do those with Wrangler autos use their transmissions? When, IF EVER, do you prefer selecting ERS (Electronic Range Select) to lock in a gear lower than D?

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
usually we'll use 1st and 2nd with steep up hill climbs or downhill descents.

thats about it. not for regular four low crawling. unless you got big tires and stock gearing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usually we'll use 1st and 2nd with steep up hill climbs or downhill descents.

thats about it. not for regular four low crawling. unless you got big tires and stock gearing.
Are you saying D not for four low crawling? I'm 100% stock.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more try.

Didn't get the feed back I hoped for, so trying to move my thread back up the line for a last shot.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I put mine I D and enjoy the ride. I don't go fast enough to shift into higher gears, but like it for the rev limiting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When offroad in 4lo I have never even considered putting the trans in D. I'm always selecting the gear myself for more control but I am always on rocks, not mud. I'm also really new to trying an auto trans for offroading, it's MUCH easier when rock crawling but I really miss the control of a stick and clutch.

481 Posts
I'm in 4 Lo cause I'm about to climb a hill. Auto transmission. Gonna be a long slow climb. I nudge my shifter to the right, this puts me in 1st gear and keeps me in first gear till I nudge it again to get into second gear, or in the opposite direction to go back to automatic. Is this the answer you were looking for?

Only needed to do that once or twice in several days on rocks. Also really good for declines. Found that the hill decent feature will automatically drop you into first.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For most off-road driving you can put it D and go. Just adhere to the Land Rover mantra; "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary." Moving the auto out of D would normally be for only a few circumstances.

1. Descending a steep hill.
2. A need to keep the RPMs in the upper part of the range in a given gear to maximize power without the continual upshifting.
3. A desire to limit top speed without having to worry about the transmission upshifting on its own.

The 2013 JK has some technological advances that can either complement or complicate these circumstances.

1. Hill Descent Control will help with this. Read your manual to understand how it works. It can be used in D or with ERS.
2 & 3 It's my understanding that the 2013 JK has a revised shifting program that changes how upshifts work when using the ERS. It's been reported (I don't have mine to try yet) that the transmission will not upshift on its own when ERS is activated. If you put it in 3rd, then stop, you'll have to do the upshifts from 1st yourself. You will want to try this yourself before you get to the off-road grounds to see if this is how yours works.

And yes, wheeling with an auto is generally far easier.

You can also use left-foot braking to help with some of the more technical rock-crawling maneuvers. This requires some fancy footwork or use of the parking brake with a manual transmission.

Mike

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All

Once again I am glad I'm on this forum. All you responders have given me what I need. As I suspected, trial and ERROR will be my teachers in my new platform.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts