Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) We took a drive from NorNv to Truckee and North to off-road to about 7000 ft

On the drive (up long hills)the tranny with aux cooler stayed at 150°

When we started climbing in rocks, run-offs, up about 2000 ft in three miles, I was in 4hi and the tranny got up to about 210°, so I put the JK into 4lo/AC and the operating temp dropped almost immediately to about 170°

Took a big load off the tranny!!

There was still snow up there-

Found the sweetest places to camp right next to the lake, with shade and fire-rings and enough sun for me to use the solar panel

It's a good size lake and we saw a lot of trout jumping for flies, we'll be camping up there near the end of August

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jimbo,

4lo/AC? - pardon my ignorance, I understand 4lo....AC as in air conditioner? If so do you think there is a correlation between running the AC and cooling the ATF? If so, is it factory tow with trans cooler running around or through the AC condenser?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
150 is a nice operating temp. it gives you nearly 100 degrees of insurance before self-destruction.

I wouldn't worry about that spike to 210 either. that's why it's rule of thumb to change the ATF ever 30,000. hell my trans operates at 200 everyday, and I've spiked over 220 with it. your cooler is doing it's job nicely.

what model of cooler did you get Jimbo? and does it have a fan or anything like that? I've got some lights in my garage I'm installing when I feel better, and next on the list is a tranny cooler/flush so I'll start my research with you. 150 is a nice temp and I'll be shooting for the 150-180 range.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:)No, the stock JK tranny cooler is part of the A/C condenser, in front of the radiator and is not a tow pkg option, the A/C comes with the cooler for the tow-pkg and it's not an option !!

Jimbo,

4lo/AC? - pardon my ignorance, I understand 4lo....AC as in air conditioner? If so do you think there is a correlation between running the AC and cooling the ATF? If so, is it factory tow with trans cooler running around or through the AC condenser?

Thanks!
I have my aux cooler, mounted in front of the A/C condenser, so as soon as you turn on the A/C, the engine fan comes on and draws air through the aux cooler/condenser/radiator !!

GD, I don't remember what the model # is, I'm in Nevada and my invoices are in Ca., but it's an 18,000 GVW cooler from JCWhitney and it was $66 bucks a year ago--

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts