Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so over the last 5-6 months my 32RH 3-speed transmission has slowly been deteriorating.
Ever since i've owned it from 70,000 miles it has shifted hard coming in and out of 1st gear. It also had the tendency to come in and out of gear while sitting still in drive at a stopsign/redlight. I developed a habit of throwing it in neutral at stops, to stop it from bucking me forward when it would go into gear.
The REAL problem however is over the last 5-6 months when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it has a very hard time getting in gear. I used lucas transmission fix on it, cured it instantly just as the bottle said it would, but over time came back, and it came back worse. its to the point now where it has a hard time staying in gear in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. and from 2nd to third its a pain in the ass to get it to stay in, especially when I'm accelerating. When I'm up to speed it stays in just fine.

I know nothing about the inner workings of auto trans, I need advice as to how I should approach fixing the problem.
My first inclination is to change the fluid as its coming up to being due for a change, but i've heard that auto trans can be touchy and it might crap out as soon as I change the fluid.
I don't want to dump excess of money into something when in the long run I would upgrade if it were easier.

Also, what goes into a transmission swap on a TJ?
Does the motor need to be pulled?
Is this something I can do on a friend's lift?

Let me know what you all think, Its basically the last thing to fix on my jeep before I can start building her more.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Are you running ATF 4 in it? Also is the cable next to the throttle adjusted properly? Im sure someone with way more experience will chime in but i was having shifting issues with mine and was completely unaware of the cable adjustment. After i adjusted it, it did fine

·
Registered
876 Posts
I used lucas transmission fix on it, cured it instantly just as the bottle said it would, but over time came back, and it came back worse.
Sounds like it is time for a rebuild... The miracle in a bottle can only do so much. You may find that you can bring the 32RH back to life cheaper than doing a swap too.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
Additives normally just cause problems. I'd have it flushed, the rumors that will cause problems are more old wive's tales than anything else. Make sure to use nothing but ATF+4 in it. No guarantees but at this point it can't hurt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additives normally just cause problems. I'd have it flushed, the rumors that will cause problems are more old wive's tales than anything else. Make sure to use nothing but ATF+4 in it. No guarantees but at this point it can't hurt.
I run valvoline ATF+4. I'll flush it and see if that does the trick. If it comes to a rebuild, anyone know I can expect to pay? or does it vary depending on how much of it needs to be rebuilt?
thanks again for the replies

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
In my neck of the woods, the i had quotes $1800-$2000 for 32RH rebuilds...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
$1800-2000 is way higher than I'd expect to pay to rebuild a transmission... except perhaps at one of the rip-off (in my personal opinion) transmission repair chains like AAMCO. Especially since I paid less than $800 for a used 32RH that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your 32RH is not too different from my 30RH. Had my 30RH rebuilt with new converter, Borg Warner friction packs, seals and pump. It cost $900 with a 36mo/36K warranty out the door. That was in including replacing a bad check valve in the cooler line with a new one. It was $750 if I only wanted a 12mo/12K warranty. I figured the extra $150 was worth peace of mind for another 24mo.24K of warranty. $375 of the bill was to remove and reinstall. Works like new and very happy.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Maybe I need to move b/c if I have issues again and have to pay that - my wife not be pleased lol.

That was two different locally owned independent transmission shops at two different times...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good flush fixed it up, running good as ever. Also my #2 misfire and long time rough idle was fixed by a new ignition coil rail. She's never run this well, ever.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts