Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time changing the fluid/filter on my 3 speed auto. After a disastrous cascade of fluid caused an ill-placed jack stand, I was finally able to get the pan drained and on the bench. I expected something on the magnet, but is this excessive or normal? Also, a couple small tufts of what looked like hair/lint turned out to be metallic as well, seen inches from the magnet.

ForumRunner_20150301_160115.jpg

Any cause for concern? 130K miles, trans operates flawlessly.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I've removed the 32RH's trans pans several times over the years and that magnet was never coated in shavings like that. About all I can suggest is to monitor it and do a complete flush now, not just a pan drain & refill. Dropping the pan drains out less than half of the ATF+4 in the system, I'd want all fresh ATF+4 in there after seeing that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It probably has never been changed before. Its a little much But if it shifts fine and its not making any noise. Put a can of TransX in it and fill it up with new fluid and filter.I have seen worse and trans lasted another 100K towing. Magnet is there to get the metal parts out of oil and not in valve body. Jerry is also right keep a check of it. Fluid start getting dark or black its tranny time.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Don't add ANY additives to the 32RH's ATF+4 which will only likely just cause problems. Additives in an automatic transmission can cause more problems than the additive manufacturer's claims they can help with. Anything added is just going to degrade the ATF+4.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Full flush is the plan, I just had no idea what/how much to expect on that magnet. Hopefully she'll continue to shift smoothly without leaks :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with that. Chunks of metal would be a different story. What was the condition of the fluid you drained? If it wasn't red I wouldn't flush. If the fluid was still red and not burnt a flush may be a good idea. Another thing would be to run the Jeep for 6-10k and change the fluid and filter again. Not the same as a flush but gets more of the fluid out. Again, I wouldn't be concerned with what I saw there personally

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the condition of the fluid you drained?
Side by side with new ATF+4

ForumRunner_20150301_175320.jpg

Definitely darker. Trace amounts of what look like copper shavings in my drain pan.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A bit hard to tell but I wouldn't personally flush that. Flushing would clean things up that might lead to clutches slipping and ultimate tranny failure. I would keep running it and change the fluid and filter again in 6k-10k.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I put a $10 B&M oil drain kit on my auto tranny pan. It allows draining the tranny pan just like an engine oil drain. Then, removing the tranny pan is a no-mess process.

I also got a reusable LubeLocker oil pan gasket instead of using messy RTV on the pan. That eliminates any scraping-off of the old stuff.

I've found that just draining the pan gets five or six quarts out of my 03's tranny, which is a bit more than half in the system. Doing this periodically is no harder than an engine oil change and keeps the oil fresh. Of course, the filter should be changed once in a while too, which is easy to do with the drain port and gasket.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put a $10 B&M oil drain kit on my auto tranny pan. It allows draining the tranny pan just like an engine oil drain. Then, removing the tranny pan is a no-mess process.

I also got a reusable LubeLocker oil pan gasket instead of using messy RTV on the pan. That eliminates any scraping-off of the old stuff.

I've found that just draining the pan gets five or six quarts out of my 03's tranny, which is a bit more than half in the system. Doing this periodically is no harder than an engine oil change and keeps the oil fresh. Of course, the filter should be changed once in a while too, which is easy to do with the drain port and gasket.
Still boggles the mind, the fact that these aren't installed factory. Discovered these too late, but I think I'll grab one now so I have it for next time.
Regarding the gasket, my filter came with a rubber pan gasket. The old one was cork, which took some time to clean off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts