Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 2005 X Rocky Mountain 4.0 automatic with 80,000 miles

Trans is taking a while to shift gears, and when it does theyre very firm. Also when coming to a stop, it will lurch pretty good. This just started happening today.

Previous owner wheeled this jeep good. Trans fluid is black, but I dont want to change it because I want to avoid problems that could bring.

Any ideas? Leaning towards a rebuild kit or junkyard trans.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would def do a complete trans flush. I mean what's the worse that can happen at this point? It gets worse? If fluid is black and or smells burnt it's a no brainer to change fluid.

·
Registered
375 Posts
These trans run hot, Could be the 42RLE Transmission Shift Solenoid Block Pack sticking. Try changing fluid and filter and add a cooler if you don't have one.

Mine is wearing out and tends to take a few sec to go into gear and when coming to a stop it doesn't shift to first quick and requires me to make a complete stop or will act like its caught between shifting gears.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Don't be afraid to do a complete 100% flush of the transmission, and that's what you need to do right away. Have it flushed and filled with ATF+4, NOTHING ELSE besides ATF+4 is the right ATF. Pay no attention to those old wive's tales about flushing a transmission wrecking it... not to mention yours sounds like it's on its last legs so it's not going to get any worse.

And there is a difference between a complete flush and a drain & refill. Only a complete flush and a new filter is appropriate at this point.

Flush it by disconnecting the driver's-side hose from the transmission cooler port at the bottom of the radiator. The driver's side is the output side from the cooler that feeds ATF+4 back to the transmission. Run that hose into a large 5 gallon bucket and start the engine with the transmission in Park, the old ATF will start flowing into the bucket. Add fresh ATF+4 via a small funnel placed in the dipstick tube as the old ATF drains out. You'll need around 10 quarts. Replace the transmission filter inside the pan too.

The filter is accessed by dropping the pan. Once the pan is off, it is easy to replace the filter which is only held in place by a few screws. Then replace the pan and seal it with an RTV made for ATF. Make sure the pan and transmission seating surfaces are clean before applying the bead of RTV. Then tighten all of the pan bolts evenly to 14.5 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Buy a case of ATF+4, drop the pan, drain, replace filter, make sure the mating surface is clean, bolt pan back up with the gasket that came with the filter, disconnect the output line from the transmission at the radiator, put 4quarts or so of ATF+4 in, start the jeep and pour fluid in at the same rate that it pumps out. If you don't have help you'll need to be quick on your feet, or stop and start I guess. Pump about 4 quarts through and check the color if what's pumping out. The point is to get the old crap out of the torque converter. When it's coming out bright red and new or you think you've flushed enough through it, turn off the jeep and reconnect the line at the radiator. Check your level, add, repeat until it's at the proper level.

Edit: Looks like the info was given already while I was fat fingering my phone. :)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Also, I think I did the passenger side line and not the return from the cooler, which I think would mean that I left some old fluid in the cooler. Oops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts