Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 JK with automatic transmission and standard gearing. No modifications, lift kits, etc. It now has about 5500 miles on it.

The scenario is I brake from around 30 mph to roll into a parking lot. As I complete the turn, the Jeep feels like it drops down into low (like L2 or L1 would be on other vehicle). and RPMs shoot up accordingly. There is no change in indicator lights, and the fix is to put the Jeep in Neutral and then back in drive. The previous time it happened was early Summer (2-3k miles ago) and it was the same situation, slowing down and turning into a parking lot.

Anyone else ever have this problem or know what may be causing it? It's under warranty but I'd like to be well prepared before I go into the dealership and they try to claim they couldn't find a problem.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Are you turning with your one hand on the stick? I've done this and didn't realize I pulled it to the side and switched it to manual mode.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you turning with your one hand on the stick? I've done this and didn't realize I pulled it to the side and switched it to manual mode.
Pretty sure I didn't. Just a normal turn with hands on the wheel.

Wait, what's this manual mode you speak of?....Is there something I should read again in the manual?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You inadvertently moved the shifter to "AutoStick" mode:
AUTOSTICK®
AutoStick® is a driver-interactive transmission feature providing manual shift control, giving you more control of the vehicle. AutoStick® allows you to maximize en- gine braking, eliminate undesirable upshifts and down- shifts, and improve overall vehicle performance.
This system can also provide you with more control during passing, city driving, cold slippery conditions, mountain driving, trailer towing, and many other situa- tions.
Operation
When the shift lever is in the DRIVE position, the transmission will operate automatically, shifting between the five available gears. To engage AutoStick®, simply tap the shift lever to the right or left (+/-) while in the DRIVE position. Tapping (-) to enter AutoStick® mode will downshift the transmission to the next lower gear, while using (+) to enter AutoStick® mode will retain the
STARTING AND OPERATING 433
current gear. When AutoStick® is active, the current transmission gear is displayed in the instrument cluster.
In AutoStick® mode, the transmission will shift up or down when (+/-) is manually selected by the driver, unless an engine lugging or overspeed condition would result. It will remain in the selected gear until another upshift or downshift is chosen, except as described below.
• The transmission will automatically upshift when nec- essary to prevent engine over-speed.
• Heavily pressing the accelerator pedal will generate an automatic downshift (for improved acceleration) when reasonable.
• The transmission will automatically downshift as the vehicle slows (to prevent engine lugging) and will display the current gear.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks guys! I totally missed that feature.

I'm still pretty sure I didn't hit the stick...but that doesn't mean my passenger didn't. Both times it happened it was the same son in the front seat, with a gym bag....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wow thanks guys! I totally missed that feature.

I'm still pretty sure I didn't hit the stick...but that doesn't mean my passenger didn't. Both times it happened it was the same son in the front seat, with a gym bag....
I bet that is what it is. And there is two ways out of it. You either have to take it out of drive or hold the stick to the right, I believe, for 2 seconds.
It has caught me off guard a few times.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Well, if you're not doing it to yourself by shifting. You have a problem with the valve body in the transmission. It will be under warranty and not too uncommon to have to have it replaced on a brand new Auto. This is not the first time I have heard these symptoms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had issues similar to what you are describing where it would seem that my 2012 auto would not shift properly when not in manual mode. I would have hard shifting points going from 1 to 2 to 3. Sometimes the tranny would act like it was stuck in 4th gear going forward from a dead stop. Sometimes the reverse gear would not engage and it would act like it was in neutral.

I had to get my transmission rebuilt and my torque converter was smoked in the tranny. Once i got it rebuilt it acted normal. I was in Ozark mountains on a hot summer wheeling trip and I think that did my tranny in despite having a cooler.

-Shin0bi1

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since it has been properly explained to me, now I know what to look for when this happens again. Initially I thought some sensor might be flaky and wanted to know what I was talking about before sounding like a [email protected] at the dealership. I'm reasonably confident that it was the manual mode thing. But if it turns out this isn't the case then I'll know to consider the possibility of torque converter or valve body issues.

I have a couple buddys with JK's that used to have older Jeeps and they both said this latest auto transmission is a huge improvement over the older problematic stuff. To me it has always seemed slightly sluggish until you get into higher gears. Like you just need to step on it a little more to get it up past 35 mph or so. Part of this is probably the aerodynamics, and some people have commented that their Jeep just got a little spunkier somewhere between 5-10k miles. No real complaints though. The shifting seems smooth enough, but coming from a Toyota I expect a Jeep to be a little different.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just to add..

You can tell if you've turned on the Autostick feature by looking at the dash.. If you're in regular Drive, the 'D' in the the PRND gear indicator will have a box around it. If you turn on Autostick, then a number in a box will appear to the right of the PRND indicator.

The number shows what gear you're in. Moving the stick left or right changes gears up or down.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add..

You can tell if you've turned on the Autostick feature by looking at the dash.. If you're in regular Drive, the 'D' in the the PRND gear indicator will have a box around it. If you turn on Autostick, then a number in a box will appear to the right of the PRND indicator.

The number shows what gear you're in. Moving the stick left or right changes gears up or down.
Thats good info thanks. Like I originally mentioned I didn't notice any difference in indications on the dash. But I really didn't know what to look for either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts