Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so my jeeps a 95 2.5l 3speed automatic with 3.73 gears and 30x9.5R15 tires. Its been acting up lately....no suprise there. But its to the point where i cant stand it anymore. When going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse its rpms dive down to 500 or below and sometimes will stall. I can start it right back up and go. It slips sometimes too mainly when its shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Also it seems like it downshifts really really late. If im making a right hand turn And slow to 20mph as soon as i get back on the gas it shifts hard from 3rd to second then hard from 2nd to 1st. Then it shifts normally into 2nd but seems to shift into 3rd early. My brother who just completed drivetrains at wyotech (with a 94 overall average) said that i should change the fluid, filter and adjust the bands. I was wondering what you guys thought of this and how I'd go about adjusting the bands.

Thanks for your time, Ian.

·
Registered
141 Posts
how many miles? might be time for a rebuild if the fluid change does not help

·
Registered
141 Posts
the valve body could be pluged up with gunk adn that would cause the shift problems. My dodge had a .50 cent spring go bad and it would hang in second for ever then finally shift. try what you buddy said and see were that gets your. Also check your TV cable

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I'd say the o-rings on the servo's are hard and letting fluid by pass, but then again I'm not a mec-a-neck !just a good ol-boy that's been there.
pull it out an put a rebuild kit in it, sounds like all your hard parts are good.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The 3 speed autos have adjustable clutch bands....it's a fairly simple job if you have an inch/pound torque wrench. If not, take it to a shop.About 1 hour labor plus new filter, gasket and fluid..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts