Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to jeeps (we are currently shopping around) and I see a lot of "hate" on people buying automatics. I know in the sports car world people say manuals are just more fun to drive (and thats definitely true) but why the hate in the Jeep community? Is it for the same reason? I myself don't care either way but my wife wants an automatic so she doesn't have to deal with shifting in Houston traffic

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure if that is "hate" in the Jeep community, or just people in general with superiority complex.

I learned to drive a stick in a Jeep Wrangler back in the day, however I drive an Automatic now... and I have no regrets. Drive what you want and don't let someone sway you a certain way just to make them rock hard for 30 seconds. They aren't driving it, you are.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Not sure if that is "hate" in the Jeep community, or just people in general with superiority complex.

I learned to drive a stick in a Jeep Wrangler back in the day, however I drive an Automatic now... and I have no regrets. Drive what you want and don't let someone sway you a certain way just to make them rock hard for 30 seconds. They aren't driving it, you are.
This is perfect advice.

There are going to be a bunch of douchebags coming into this thread to post about how "real men drive stick". It's BS. Automatics have come a long way. They are just as reliable, just as efficient, and just as fast now as their manual cousins.

I drive a manual bc I enjoy driving manual. As soon as I don't enjoy it I will buy an automatic. There's really no reason to not get an automatic anymore, it's just personal preference.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wranglers are one of the last vehicles available in the US with a manual but even then the majority of JKs sold are Autos.

I don't know it's as much hate as I do see some manual owners giving auto owners a hard time in a joking, friendly way.

I am a staunch manual driver and my JKU is a 6 speed but my wife can't drive one so obviously she wants a JKU in a auto.

If your wife wants an auto and it's something she will drive regularly get the auto.

To be honest the newer auto is probably a better tranny than the JKU's manual.

I like a manual as it is more fun (to me). My previous vehicles XJ, Tacoma, Frontier have all been manuals and I had to search them out. Heck I had to go 500 mikes to get a JKU with the options I wanted (including a manual).

Other than some friendly teasing, nobody in the Jeep community will give you a hard time for getting a manual. The Jeep community is very diverse. Some people like 20" wheels, some people like angry bird grills, some people like stock, some people leave the hard top on all the time, others run bakini tops all summer. Build your Jeep to what you like- that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Some people try to compensate by making a big deal about driving a stick, kind of like guys who talk about losing your man card if you don't change your own oil, but have their Jeep towed to the dealership for a blown fuse. Most people aren't emotionally invested in the method by which their gears are selected, so don;t worry about it. Get whatever you and the wife prefer. Both are decent options, but I would say test drive them first and see which you prefer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I've never seen this hate you speak of. Most Jeep owners I know are pretty cool. Buy what YOU want. I wish I could drive a manual but went for the auto. I figured it's the easiest way to get home! My first car was a stick, as were the next four. But having rheumatoid arthritis there are times when my ol' legs just don't work like they used to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with most here that manuals are fun. I have a couple of thoughts to add. There is a Jeep culture and culture is a strange thing. Part of the Jeep "thing" is the appeal of a manual transmission. Kind of a do it the hard way, traditional, approach.

I find an automatic is more convenient, and in several off road circumstances better than a manual. There are also some situations better with a manual, but for me, the automatic benefits outweigh the standard.

Don't be afraid of either one, and don't expect any hate. It's not there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'd test drive both and see what you prefer, but they auto in the JK is very good. Offroad the auto would generally be easier to use. The manual would be more fun to drive until you get into traffic and probably won't feel as refined as the auto.

It's really just personal preference, no hating on either one here.

Edit: Here are some interesting figures, according to LA Times.

3% of all new vehicles are sold with a manual, down from 7% in 2012 and 25% in 1992. In 2006 47% of all new vehicles were offered with a manual or auto, that number fell to 27% in 2016.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/laautoshow/la-fi-hy-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'd test drive both and see what you prefer, but they auto in the JK is very good. Offroad the auto would generally be easier to use. The manual would be more fun to drive until you get into traffic and probably won't feel as refined as the auto.

It's really just personal preference, no hating on either one here.

Edit: Here are some interesting figures, according to LA Times.

3% of all new vehicles are sold with a manual, down from 7% in 2012 and 25% in 1992. In 2006 47% of all new vehicles were offered with a manual or auto, that number fell to 27% in 2016.

The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions - LA Times
The interesting thing is that those numbers flip when you look at foreign car sales.
Automatics are less common.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Drive what feels best. Autos stopped being inferior about 15-20 years ago. There's a reason manuals aren't driven in competition very much any more. A lot of people who "hate" are people who think that just because they know how to drive a manual they're superior for some reason.

Test drive everything and choose for yourself. Ultimately the vehicle is going to sleep in YOUR garage every night.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just had the same decision to make for my JKU purchase. Ended up with the auto, even though all my previous vehicles have been manual. Originally thought for sure I would get another manual - researched things here, built my personal pro/con list. Test drove a few times, tried to fall in love with the manual, but I didn't - definitely test drive both before deciding.

So far no regrets - totally happy with the auto.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The interesting thing is that those numbers flip when you look at foreign car sales.
Automatics are less common.
Autos are still less common in many foreign markets, but the trend is the same everywhere. Fewer manuals, more autos. As time goes on, there are fewer and fewer practical reasons to get a manual.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This has nothing to do with Jeeps, but many years ago I worked for German company and when I would travel to Germany to confer with my superiors, they would always send a driver in a Mercedes to meet me and deliver me to my destination. Mostly, those Mercedes were manual transmissions. Once, I asked the female driver why the manual transmission. Her response was "automatic transmissions are for old people" Never forgot that.
And my JKUR has a manual transmission; I just like the process of shifting my gears when I want to because the engine speaks to me and I'm in control.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah personal preference. I taught myself how to drive a manual when I drove my '98 off the lot in October of 1997. When I bought my '15, it had to be a stick too. I just simply enjoy it in these vehicles. Now, if I commuted to work every day in the Jeep, then I would've probably gone with an auto.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I said "hate" I meant that more as trash talk or friendly ribbing and not literally hate. I totally agree that you should drive what makes you comfortable. I was just curious if there was something more to it with jeeps. When we buy my wife her jeep, it will definitely be an auto.

·
Banned
477 Posts
This has nothing to do with Jeeps, but many years ago I worked for German company and when I would travel to Germany to confer with my superiors, they would always send a driver in a Mercedes to meet me and deliver me to my destination. Mostly, those Mercedes were manual transmissions. Once, I asked the female driver why the manual transmission. Her response was "automatic transmissions are for old people" Never forgot that.
And my JKUR has a manual transmission; I just like the process of shifting my gears when I want to because the engine speaks to me and I'm in control.
I always find it oddly reassuring when I find out that being a self-indulged assehole is not an exclusively American trait.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I laugh. I have both MT & AT and have never gotten into my MT and said to myself, " OMG this IS Soooo much more Fun!"

I have on the other hand run into situations where I Did say (out loud) "Thank God I'm in the HR w/the AT today!" Usually, road const, accident stoppage, shore traffic, town traffic, particularly challenging trail, etc.

In the middle..... How the gears get selected isn't really an emotional or recreational experience for me anymore than how my toast gets brown.

(really hard to believe how much time gets spent debating this one topic)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like many have said before, it's a personal issue and you have to decide. Test drive both and buy what you like, not what someone else tells you.
I have had a number of Wranglers, all Rubicons since about 2004 and all of them except my 2012 and my current 2017 Recon have been manuals. I've always enjoyed driving my automobiles and Jeeps with a manual transmission, it's just more involving and more fun.
One thing about the Jeep though, since it's primary design is off road use, the first gear in a Wrangler is geared very low, meaning that it provides more power transmission at lower speeds. This is great off road, but in every day driving on the road, you may find that you just barely get moving and you have to quickly shift to second. This need to shift so quickly seems to make the Jeep a little slower off line and may be a nuisance to some. It's not a flaw, it's just something that helps you when off roading. It's not really a big deal when you accept the fact that Wranglers aren't meant to be fast, and it's also not such a big deal because the 3.6 L likes to rev higher, unlike the old 3.8 L.
Another thing is that before the 2012 model year, the Wrangler was equipped with the 3.8 V6 which when paired with the older 4 speed automatic, was not known for it's peppy driving, in fact many say it was underpowered. Getting the 6 speed was a way to wring the most power out of the anemic 3.8.
Then in 2012 Jeep introduced the 3.6 L Pentastar engine, with a lots more HP and drivability. Jeep also introduced the 5 speed transmission that is still being used in the JK today. This transmission, sourced from Mercedes was light years ahead of the older 4 speed auto from Chrysler. It gave the 2012 Wrangler a big advantage over it's predecessors. It's been an excellent transmission, both in drivability and durability. Since then it seems that automatics have been growing in popularity in the Wrangler. Jeep will replace that 5 speed transmission with a newer 8 speed unit in the 2018 JL, but I think the trend will continue and automatics will grow even more popular.
So in short, the 6 speed manual transmission used to be the best way to wring power out of the engine, and the best way to make sure you were in the best gear for whatever your off roading requirements needed. With the introduction of a new and more modern 5 speed transmission, you now can achieve that with either transmission, and for many, the automatic is simply easier to drive. With that said, the 6 speed still has many good features and a lot of buyers still choose that route.
More than ever though, the buyer has to decide. At least now you can have good drivability and good power regardless which transmission you choose. If you drive a lot in traffic you might prefer the automatic and in a lot of cases, resale value for an automatic may be better (but it does cost more upfront).
Have I mentioned that you should test drive both? That's the best way to determine which one is best for you. Some people like to shift and will never change their minds while others like the transmission to do the work.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I learned to drive on the family car which was standard. I took my driver's test on a standard.

My first car was a standard and I drove it for five years. My next car was an auto. I had never driven an auto until then and recall having to get used to it. I didn't know what to do with my left foot. I found it 'pressing at air' the odd time as I came to a stop. :)

I've driven standard column shift (3 on the tree), as well as four on the floor and five on the floor stick shift. I've even driven in countries where you sit on the right and shift with your left hand.

I drive either without thinking about it. I have no preference. I wound up with an auto JK because I ordered off the lot rather than factory ordering. I liked the vehicle and would have bought it if it were standard. It would have made no difference.

I can't quite figure how the topic can result in such a heated debate....

1 - 20 of 153 Posts