Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Jeep already has paint scratched off the drivers side rear fender :rant: I took it thru an automatic car wash for the first time and then noticed the scratch 2 days later. However I was also in a few different parking lots where someone could have maybe slammed their door or shopping cart into it. I don't know but I'm mad. Only 5 weeks old and already damaged. Has anyone had bad luck with automatic car washes?? I still suspect that this may have been the cause.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
My brand new Jeep already has paint scratched off the drivers side rear fender :rant: I took it thru an automatic car wash for the first time and then noticed the scratch 2 days later. However I was also in a few different parking lots where someone could have maybe slammed their door or shopping cart into it. I don't know but I'm mad. Only 5 weeks old and already damaged. Has anyone had bad luck with automatic car washes?? I still suspect that this may have been the cause.
I don't typically go thru those but I have and I have clients that own them - I haven't had or known of issues. They are carefully designed Not to damage vehicles.
I'd be more likely to believe the damage is a result of parking lot contact.
Post pics if possible, may help in the identification of cause but that's about it.
Nothing will be gained by going back to the car wash I don't imagine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Was it a touchless, or one with spinnybrushthings? Spinnybrushthings are the enemy of all things painted and can and will screw up your ride. All it takes is one good hunk of something stuck to a spinnybrushthing spinning and flapping against your paint.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
All it takes is one good hunk of something stuck to a spinnybrushthing spinning and flapping against your paint.
If so, I would think that the OP would have more than just one scratch, in one place. There would be multiple scratches, all over that side.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Never, Ever, under any circumstances, run your Jeep or Car thru a car wash with brushes. Yikes!

·
Registered
418 Posts
re: spinning brushes

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've seen a car wash with the old style spinning bristle brushes.

What I do see a lot on the ones that aren't "touchless" are the long pieces of flapping rubber that spin rather slowly as you go through. I'm not sure how those are with paint? I would imagine things don't stick to them as well as junk that would get caught between actual brush bristles though.

Was it a touchless, or one with spinnybrushthings? Spinnybrushthings are the enemy of all things painted and can and will screw up your ride. All it takes is one good hunk of something stuck to a spinnybrushthing spinning and flapping against your paint.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sucks man. I remember when I bought my first wrangler 12 years ago, the dealer said never take these things through an automatic car wash...Especially with the soft top on. I enjoy washing my own vehicles anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to post some pics tonight when I get home. Yes, unfortunatley, I think it did have the "spinnybrushthings" :( I did go back up to the car wash, but of course they denied it could have happened there. Now I need to find some touch up paint to fix it :( And I will not be going back to that particular car wash again. I used to take my old SUV through there all the time, but it had some scratches on it when I bought it so I wasn't that concerned about it. In this case, however, the paint is totally scratched off and you can see the black where the silver paint used to be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a soon to be new Jeep owner is it not recommended to run a soft top through a car wash? We have a few car washes around here that have the non "spinybrushthings" option but was wondering if water under pressure was not so cool with a soft top?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
IF one is in a situation where they simply can not hand wash their vehicle, there are "Touch-less car washes" probably the best bet.

·
Registered
970 Posts
As a soon to be new Jeep owner is it not recommended to run a soft top through a car wash? We have a few car washes around here that have the non "spinybrushthings" option but was wondering if water under pressure was not so cool with a soft top?
ive been thru twice with a soft top and as long as you tell them to use there special setting ( they can turn off the top cloth strips and power washer) is fine....no leaks and no scratched windows....Mikes or Crew are the good ones around here that know what theyre doing

·
Registered
894 Posts
Most car washes now use the large, fat and long rubber or foam flaps that spin slow in multiple places. Usually one low for the wheels and lower panels, one up high for the top half and windows and one that drops down to get the roof. I dont even use those for washing the Jeep.

The issue I have is the rate of speed of those flaps hitting the paint, the chance of not enough water getting sprayed on them and the fact that all the buildup of grime from the previous cars going through just adds to the concern that they could damage my Jeep.

I prefer the all touchless washes that use just the high powered jets. Yes those use chemicals to remove the dirt, but I only use those types of car washes in the winter when I have the hard top on and need to wash away the salt. Otherwise I hand wash at home or use the hand wash at a car wash.

For those I rinse the Jeep first then rinse the foaming brush to remove any crap from the previous person. Then I foam scrub the Jeep. That usually takes up one cycle of coins. Then I drop another wash worth of coins and use that just to rinse away the foam/dirt with the high power wash.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I don't use the auto car washes because I find they rarely wash the Wrangler properly, I just go to a coin car wash and I get it done properly for $5-$6.
I only use the auto car wash near my house, in the sub-freezing winter, and only then to get as much salt off the vehicle as I can. I am not looking for it to sparkle, just not be flat white.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The best car wash for a JK with a soft top is you and/or a hand wash. Brushes aren't good at all and high pressure jets aren't ideal either. There usually are hand car washes just about in every area.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,131 Posts
The best car wash for a JK with a soft top is you and/or a hand wash. Brushes aren't good at all and high pressure jets aren't ideal either. There usually are hand car washes just about in every area.
^^^X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Automatic Car washes, no, no and no...:nonono::nonono::nonono:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's a bloody jeep guys! You run down a trail and scratch the heck out of it and call that character. But a car wash is a big deal? I take my JK through the automatic car wash minimum once a week. I have unlimited washes for $30/month. Not a mark on it after some 30 washes. Lots of hyperbole.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I took mine through a touch-less wash with the soft top on and it was fine... Not even any water leaking inside. But like someone else said, it didn't really get things that clean. I still had some mud behind the plastic front and rear bumper it didn't get off, since the water spray seemed to miss that area completely.

I think these things are calibrated in such a way that they just don't wash our Wranglers optimally. (They probably just sense its height and width as you drive in and then the system tries to spray around those parameters -- making certain assumptions about how high off the ground the vehicle body is, etc. And our Jeeps tend to sit higher than the washes expect.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts