Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tire deflator that will not break me. I like the automatic ones but they want 50 bucks for em, anyone else have any that they like that are cheaper?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I like these a lot:

4WD Products Tire Deflator - 4Wheelers Supply

they are low price and simple. They don't shut off automatically though, incase thats what you meant by automatic. But the automatic ones I've used before (staun) always required readjusting and I'd end up manually setting the tire pressure the old fashion way in the end anyway. The other deflators I've used (arb EZ) wasn't accurate down to single digits.

So I just use these inexpensive deflaters and check them occasionally by putting my tire air gauge over them as they air down. Also, if your like me, you lose these little items like this a lot... especially in the excitement just before a trail run. These can be replaced cheap.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is it really that hard to just deflate them with a tire pressure gauge?? Not trying to be a "D" I'm just asking? It only takes about 30 seconds a tire and a little feel....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just when I thought I had heard everything.... there is something that deflates your tires automagically???

Is there no end to the throwing away of $$$$$$$$$?????

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The automatic deflators are definitely nice, but like you've seen they cost a pretty penny. The other bad thing about them is that they aren't necessarilly fast. With the Currie EZ-deflator posted above, you can have all four tires deflated quicker than anyone using a tire gauge or one of those screw on deflators.

The only nice thing I've found about the automatic deflators is that it frees you up to do something else. For instance, when we get to the off-road park, I screw them on and head into the office to register for the day. When I come back out, they're finished and I'm good to go. That's the only situation I use mine in. If I have to wait for the tires to deflate, I'd rather use something like the Currie deflator.

Just something to think about. I always thought the automatic ones were the bees knees but after I got them I found that something like the Currie deflator actually suits me better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use the Trailhead deflators. Unscrew the cap, screw on deflator, go to next tire,etc. When the 4th tire deflator is installed I'm ready to start removing the 1st deflator and continue around Jeep until done. No wasted time at all. No staying bent over or squatting with a gauge or Currie style deflator until aired down. 30#'s to 12#'s in about 2 minutes for all 4 tires. Wish airing up was as fast!!

Regards, Hamshog

·
Registered
70 Posts
If they made something like this that had a preset pressure to achieve (stops letting air out at say 14psi), that would be cool, and not very hard to do I bet. I just know I would try to use something like this, get distracted, and be stuck with 4 flats before I knew it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If they made something like this that had a preset pressure to achieve (stops letting air out at say 14psi), that would be cool, and not very hard to do I bet. I just know I would try to use something like this, get distracted, and be stuck with 4 flats before I knew it.
That's what the automatic deflators do, except most are adjustable. For instance, I have the Staun deflators. You can adjust them for a range of pressures, I have mine set for around 12 PSI. They automatically shut off when it hits that pressure.

But like I said, the only bad thing is they can be a bit slow. That's where the Currie piece comes in; it's much quicker. They both have their place, just depends on your use. I use them both, it just depends on the situation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's what the automatic deflators do, except most are adjustable. For instance, I have the Staun deflators. You can adjust them for a range of pressures, I have mine set for around 12 PSI. They automatically shut off when it hits that pressure.

But like I said, the only bad thing is they can be a bit slow. That's where the Currie piece comes in; it's much quicker. They both have their place, just depends on your use. I use them both, it just depends on the situation.
Like every visit to this site, I learn something new, thx.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: STAUNS, can't live withoutem and I paid $59 bucks for 6 ofem !!

Can'tbeatem

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
:whistling: STAUNS, can't live withoutem and I paid $59 bucks for 6 ofem !!

Can'tbeatem

Yep, and be careful with the cheaper ones like what Smitty sells; they look the same as the Stauns, but I have a few friends that bought them and unfortunately they don't work very well. The Stauns are expensive but can be had on sale if you watch.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
YUP and you can just screwem on and drive away-to open a space or move down the road-or--then removem before you start any difficult stuff, snow/rocks/hot coals-etc !

Yep, and be careful with the cheaper ones like what Smitty sells; they look the same as the Stauns, but I have a few friends that bought them and unfortunately they don't work very well. The Stauns are expensive but can be had on sale if you watch.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
00tj2 said:
Is it really that hard to just deflate them with a tire pressure gauge?? Not trying to be a "D" I'm just asking? It only takes about 30 seconds a tire and a little feel....
Takes me a good 4min/tire with my 33s.

geiman said:
The automatic deflators are definitely nice, but like you've seen they cost a pretty penny. The other bad thing about them is that they aren't necessarilly fast. With the Currie EZ-deflator posted above, you can have all four tires deflated quicker than anyone using a tire gauge or one of those screw on deflators.

The only nice thing I've found about the automatic deflators is that it frees you up to do something else. For instance, when we get to the off-road park, I screw them on and head into the office to register for the day. When I come back out, they're finished and I'm good to go. That's the only situation I use mine in. If I have to wait for the tires to deflate, I'd rather use something like the Currie deflator.

Just something to think about. I always thought the automatic ones were the bees knees but after I got them I found that something like the Currie deflator actually suits me better.
X2! My currie deflator is awesome!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I like these a lot:

4WD Products Tire Deflator - 4Wheelers Supply

they are low price and simple. They don't shut off automatically though, incase thats what you meant by automatic. But the automatic ones I've used before (staun) always required readjusting and I'd end up manually setting the tire pressure the old fashion way in the end anyway. The other deflators I've used (arb EZ) wasn't accurate down to single digits.

So I just use these inexpensive deflaters and check them occasionally by putting my tire air gauge over them as they air down. Also, if your like me, you lose these little items like this a lot... especially in the excitement just before a trail run. These can be replaced cheap.
This x eleventy billion. There is no faster, cheaper way to deflate tires to the exact poundage you want them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts