Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine has a 99 sahara automatic and ive heard by a couple people that automatic jeeps and crossing deep waters do not mix. I just want to no cuase we dont want to do anything stupid to wreck his car. If this is true, why does this happen??

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
beacause the breather on them is too low and when in deep water it sucks it in. You can just extent the breather with some hose and it should be good.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Its all about how transmissions work, and how the fluid works.

Howstuffworks.com has good info on an automatic transmission.

With that said, and without going into a long book report here, basically its all about water getting INTO the transmission. Its not nessesarily about the deep water crossing itself, so much as leaks. Once a tiny bit of water gets into your tranny fluid, chances are the transmission will begin to slip so bad, that it overheats, or just slips to the point of not moving the truck period. I have seen it happen with my own eyes, more than once. Manual transmissions do not have this problem, since they are just gears that change positions with a shifter. Automatic transmissions rely on fluid movement etc. and water just plain doent work. He can very easily follow you down a trail, its just going to be more work for him. Basically, hes going to want to check EVERY seal at the transmission, before wheeling (rear main, trans output seal, dipstick, EVERYTHING at the transmission). If there are any leaks coming out, than water can get in. Also, raise the transmission vent. I believe its the trans dipstick tube. If thats the case, than NO water close to that high, or raise it. Finally, after every water crossing, check the fluid. Any signs of water, change the fluid right then and there (bring the old fluid out of the trail with you).

Good luck :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
eek, this is good to know. i haven't done any water crossings yet but didn't realize there was other stuff you had to worry about other than getting water into your air intake.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
ive had my 3speed in lots of deep water up half way up my grill and no issues yet, as everyone should ALWAYS check your fluids after wheeling. If your leaving the trail and on your way home on a long drive. check your fluids. A call to a tow truck or friend with a trailor can save you a lotta money and time.
even if you extend your breathers your should always check your jeep before hitting the roads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
what exactly is "too deep" for an automatic. I know that I can't get water near the engine intake.. but this trainy thing is new to me.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
nic/tj babe.. I believe your vent is your dipstick tube. Meaning, you should silicon the entrance into the trans, and do not go above the dipstick.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
in the FSM i found this sentence in the 42RLE section:

"Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube."

they talk about a tranny vent tube only in this one sentence and i couldn´t find where it is located.
or does that mean that fill tube and vent tube are the same...?

·
Registered
157 Posts
isn't the dipstick tube at the same height as the intake? so unless I need a snorkel, I should be all set for the tranny? right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The vent is on the lower part of the bellhousing and if water comes in which is easy to do then then the breather will suck in the water and cause tranny to slip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts