Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a TJ that I really like, one owner, well taken care of, and a simple build that is practically a clean slate for me to start with. The ONLY issue is that it is an automatic. I know that everyone says that for trail riding automatic is the way to go, but the "old school" side of me just says that a Jeep should be manual.

Should I get over this thinking or keep waiting until a good 5 speed shows up?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
I have found a TJ that I really like, one owner, well taken care of, and a simple build that is practically a clean slate for me to start with. The ONLY issue is that it is an automatic. I know that everyone says that for trail riding automatic is the way to go, but the "old school" side of me just says that a Jeep should be manual. Should I get over this thinking or keep waiting until a good 5 speed shows up?
That is a question ONLY you can answer! All you're going to get here is opinions. If it's a killer deal then jump on it regardless of transmission.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I like my automatic, great for off road use. If it had a manual trans, I would have still bought it. Like Sinister said, it is all up to you.

Mine was slow mileage and stock LJ when I picked it up as well. Helps I knew the owner.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That is a question ONLY you can answer! All you're going to get here is opinions. If it's a killer deal then jump on it regardless of transmission.
DITTO

I prefer manual as well. But this is my second auto and I don't ever leave a trail cursing the automatic.
It's just different, but not a kill-joy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opinions are exactly what Im looking for in this case. I think alot of us on here are very like-minded and "not a kill joy" is basically what I was thinking. With this being a driver (not my only vehicle) but also a toy, I didn't want to regret not waiting it out. Im still not sure, I have automatic in all of our "family vehicles" but this will be mine and it won't go on road trips and such. I think Im thinking myself out of it... Haha

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
i've had both manual cars and trucks, a manual cj and a manual yj, now i'm on my second auto TJ and the only vehicle that I would want a manual in is a sports car that would see high speeds on the track where downshifting comes into play. grew up with muscle cars and I had a really good buddy had a 70 442 w30 455 with the muncie rock crusher, thing was a beast, yet my 68 firebird with HO 400 and TH400 was quicker in the quarter.

would i drive a TJ with a manual, of course, would i own one, nope

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Should I get over this thinking or keep waiting until a good 5 speed shows up?
Yes. Get over it. That's just my opinion.
I was in the same boat years ago. Wanted a manual, but found a pristine unmolested auto.
Mine is just a toy, and I am so glad I talked myself into buying the automatic.
Well cared for TJs are getting harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll tell you where I don't miss driving a stick, that's as a daily driver in communter traffic.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
Having owned the same TJ with both its OE 5-speed and then years later with the 32RH automatic I converted it to, the automatic added as much boost to its offroad abilities as the front & rear lockers were. When that TJ was stolen, I made sure the replacement had an automatic too. The magical torque converter in an automatic adds not only more precise offroad control, it adds 2-3X more low-end torque (yes) for more grunt getting up & over obstacles.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You sound kinda like me, TC. I wouldn't look at a Jeep that was an auto. I genuinely prefer driving a stick.

And as far as the offroad thing goes, if I'm in 4 hi, I seem to stall really easily, but if I'm in lo, I have no issues.

If you really want a stick, I'd say hold out. I know if I had settled for an auto that I'd be regretting it by now.

But, like Sinister said, that's a question only you can answer. I've purchased three cars in my young life, the only one I ever regretted was the automatic.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mine has the 5 speed and I love driving it. I really prefer it to an auto. If I were in your shoes I would buy the jeep though. Like said above, nice ones are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have owned both. '98 with 5 speed stick, and '05 with an automatic.

I too thought a jeep should only have a stick, when I ordered it,,,Back then.
My mind has changed.
I love the auto I have now, and if for some reason I have to replace the one I have now, I'll replace it with another automatic.

I drove that little '98 TJ everywhere. To work. On road trips, around town for burgers, and lots of off road of course. But life gave me a bumb knee, and I just got tired of shifting with a bad knee.

But bumb knee or not, I will from now on always take a auto. Off road, at least to me, the auto is a big advantage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You gotta do what makes you happy.

I have had both 4cyl and 6 cyl YJs with manuals, a 4cyl CJ with a stick also had a quadrtrac CJ with an auto and now I have a TJ with an auto. It was hard to find a nice 6cyl TJ with the auto.....manuals seem to be everywhere. The manuals are "fun" but "stop and go" daily commutes really take the fun out of a stick shift.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you Guys I just pulled the motor and tranny from my new build and thinking of getting rid of the 5 speed old truck driver knees and this being a trail rig has me now searching for a 32R for my 98 TJ

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your heart is telling you to get a manual, get a manual. I don't go wheeling (time and available locations won't allow for it) so I love my manual. If you feel the automatic is worth it for the amount of wheeling you will do, go for this one.

The only thing I dislike about my manual is it makes it difficult to eat and talk on my phone and drive at the same time. Lol. Jk. I just enjoy being part of the driving constantly.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
Thank you Guys I just pulled the motor and tranny from my new build and thinking of getting rid of the 5 speed old truck driver knees and this being a trail rig has me now searching for a 32R for my 98 TJ
It's real hard to beat that 32RH for a trail rig, good luck with the conversion. If you have questions on it later, PM me as I did that conversion years ago.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
Why yes I do have a source, and I'm betting you could also confirm what I said using Google. It's a (mostly) commonly known trait of torque converters. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts