Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running extra back-up lights, wired to the stocks? KC says they are officially not “street legal” (thanks, Obama!), but I’m wondering if I should put them on anyways. I’d like to wire them to the stocks, so they go on whenever I’m in reverse. Wondering if I’ll ever really have a problem with the coppers (I’m in Illinois), or if maybe KC is just being extra careful so they don’t get sued.

Experiences, please! Thanks!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ive seen people here have 20" light bars hooked up as reverse lights. I do not think you would have a single issue unless you have them on a separate switch and turn them on when someone is tailgating you.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well as much as I'm not an Obama supporter, I'm pretty sure he's off the hook with this one. Whether you get into trouble depends on if someone like a neighbor complains because these super bright lights keep waking them up in the morning or they see you using them. A way around this is to do a switch that will let you turn them off and on and on with backup lights. After that what could the punishment be and are you willing to pay it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Varies state by state. Here in VA, extra lights are not legal. Other states do not have that restriction. I forget the site, but I know there's a pretty comprehensive state-by-state listing on the Internet. IIRC, the discussion starts with what's legal height wise...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Who said they weren't legal? Did you look up the vehicle codes for your state? Police officers and people at dealerships are not reliable sources for law, you need to do your own homework. That said, I can't say I've ever heard of anyone being hassled. I've had mine for a little over a month I think without issue but Michigan is pretty lax about vehicle stuff.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Not sure why you wire lights up that way honestly... makes way more sense to wire them to a switch so you can control when they come on...
Odds are you rarely need that much light when going into reverse

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Mine are set up for auto/manual on/off but I don't blame people for running them always on in reverse. JK backup lights are weak as hell.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't see anything that prohibits rear-facing reverse lights. I realize VA is stupid with vehicle enforcement but I can't see anyone bothering a driver with this. Maybe a secondary ticket if you're already stopped but that's it.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Is anyone running extra back-up lights, wired to the stocks? KC says they are officially not “street legal” (thanks, Obama!), but I’m wondering if I should put them on anyways. I’d like to wire them to the stocks, so they go on whenever I’m in reverse. Wondering if I’ll ever really have a problem with the coppers (I’m in Illinois), or if maybe KC is just being extra careful so they don’t get sued.

Experiences, please! Thanks!!
Not sure Obama has made any new laws regarding vehicle lights but some of the basic laws go back to the '70s at least.

55watts is the maximum wattage for lights facing traffic.... forward or reverse.... written long before HIDs or LEDs but you get the drift. It is illegal for any light to be mounted higher that the factory headlights.... coming or going. hence the Liberty came with covers on those 4 roof mounted lights. And you can only ignite 4 lights on a public highway... which is defined to include lanes and parking lots.

Stupidity can get anyone a ticket and sometimes a stupid cop can give even the most intelligent person a citation but rear facing lights... as every semi and backhoe have????? limited wattage.... minimum range.... I doubt anyone will complain.

If you are reasonable, smart, skilled.... 30 watts is probably plenty of illumination for backing up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've got mine set up like I do my front lights: Activated by a switch that's a SPDT Center Off. Switch up, manually on. Switch down, with the high beams, or the backups in this case. Center off.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Well, I hope they're legal, since I just had some installed today. They're installed so that they come on in reverse and have a separate on switch connected to Spod. I dont have a way to turn them off when I go in reverse. I doubt it will be a legal problem, but I'm honestly not sure. I'm in NC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well, I hope they're legal, since I just had some installed today. They're installed so that they come on in reverse and have a separate on switch connected to Spod. I dont have a way to turn them off when I go in reverse. I doubt it will be a legal problem, but I'm honestly not sure. I'm in NC
After 3 tries quote finally worked for me.
Check here for applicable statutes, helpfully sorted by state :
http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/unlawful-vehicle-modifications-state-laws.html/

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
After 3 tries quote finally worked for me.
Check here for applicable statutes, helpfully sorted by state :
Unlawful Vehicle Modifications: State Laws - FindLaw
Thanks for the post: I think I'm OK. At first I was worried about the clause that says you can't have "spot lamps" on the rear of the vehicle, but the later clause seems to state its ok as long as activated with reverse only. (I wont hit the spod button when on highway) :)

§ 20-130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.
(a) Spot Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.

§ 20-130.3. Use of white or clear lights on rear of vehicles prohibited; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully drive a motor vehicle in forward motion upon the highways of this State displaying white or clear lights on the rear of said vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the white light required by G.S. 20-129(d) or so-called backup lights lighted only when said vehicle is in reverse gear or backing. Violation of this section does not constitute negligence per se in any civil action. (1973, c. 1071.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
There's also varying differences in VA as to what is legal/non-legal and what will/won't pass state inspections. They are 2 different sets of rules and hard to gauge (I've had a miserable time with the differences on my motorcycle)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks for the post: I think I'm OK. At first I was worried about the clause that says you can't have "spot lamps" on the rear of the vehicle, but the later clause seems to state its ok as long as activated with reverse only. (I wont hit the spod button when on highway) :)

§ 20-130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.
(a) Spot Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.

§ 20-130.3. Use of white or clear lights on rear of vehicles prohibited; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully drive a motor vehicle in forward motion upon the highways of this State displaying white or clear lights on the rear of said vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the white light required by G.S. 20-129(d) or so-called backup lights lighted only when said vehicle is in reverse gear or backing. Violation of this section does not constitute negligence per se in any civil action. (1973, c. 1071.)
Wouldn't your original reverse lights meet the maximum two "spot lamps"? I'm not a fan of having lights that bright hooked up to reverse lights. If you are backing out of somewhere in town, and blind someone on the road, it could cause an accident. IMO, hook them up to a switch, and use them when needed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I get that, and it makes sense. the only problem is that you then need to run a wire from the back to the front, which means ripping up the interior, which I'd just rather avoid.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yeah I'm honestly not sure. I think it comes down to how strictly the law is enforced and I really don't think this is something that will be strictly enforced if you are smart about it. I'll certainly keep in mind the potential of blinding someone when backing up but fortunately I did use the diffused light pattern so unless you look directly at the lights it shouldn't be something that will blind people. Additionally they point about 20 degrees outward and 20 degrees downward so they won't shine brightly on a person directly behind me. Regarding the maximum of 2 spot lamps, if that was enforced 90% of the jeeps on the road would be in trouble considering light bars a pillar lights etc. Hopefully the cops will continue to turn a blind eye

1 - 20 of 27 Posts