Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a setup where the control switch for the aux light relay is powered with the high-beam circuit:

I'm trying to figure out a way to have the switch light up when it's in the "on" position even when the high-beams are off, and the lights are not powered. Basically I want a red light on my dash reminding me that the Aux lights are "armed", and will come on if I turn on the high-beams.

I'm thinking that the power to the aux lights may have to pass through 2 independently controlled relays. The first being controlled by a switch in the dash (getting its power from the battery), and the second being controlled by the high-beam circuit. Would this work? Is there a less complex way of getting the same result?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doe anyone see any issues with wiring it up this way?

The power for the lights would be coming from a 15 amp circuit on the SPOD, and passed through a second relay controlled by the high beams. The relay 86 connection would be spliced into the anti-flicker harness for my LED headlights to make sure it gets steady power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with the below setup, the relay flickers on and off very rapidly even though the switch power is coming from the capacitor on the headlight. This only happens when the engine is running. If I connect the switch power directly to the battery terminal the issue goes away.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears that the canbus system didn't like having the relay grounded outside the headlight circuit. My final wiring diagram looks like the picture above, except the relay is grounded back to the ground on the headlight that I'm pulling power from, and the aux lights are grounded back to the SPOD

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It has nothing to do with CanBus. The power module uses PWM regulation to lower the voltage on the lighting circuits. That PWM signal causes the relay to chatter. You can put a 600uf or greater capacitor in parallel on the relay coil to smooth the PWM and stop that problem. The capcitor needs to be right at the relay. It would go high beam circuit ---> little fuse ----> Switch ----> Capacitor ---> Relay coil.

All the conventional lighted switches use the incoming power to run the light. Unless you buy a really strange switch with a separate circuit for the light, which probably doesn't exist outside specialty devices, what you want for the switch isn't going to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts