Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my jeep and it's a 2014 wrangler jku polar edition. It has the aux input as well as usb in the front of LCD screen.

But I found an AUX jack on the left driver side by the door coming underneath the dash. Asked a few people, and no one is really sure what it's for. Its after market, the person before me must have installed it. It runs all the way to the battery.

Any ideas what it was used for or what it could be used for? CB radio?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
just got my jeep and it's a 2014 wrangler jku polar edition. It has the aux input as well as usb in the front of LCD screen.

But I found an AUX jack on the left driver side by the door coming underneath the dash. Asked a few people, and no one is really sure what it's for. Its after market, the person before me must have installed it. It runs all the way to the battery.

Any ideas what it was used for or what it could be used for? CB radio?
Not really an Aux jack but I've seen something similar used as a power connection for a backup camera, it would be the side that mates with the red colored connection in this pic.

It would explain why it's coming from the battery and running down the passenger side.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really an Aux jack but I've seen something similar used as a power connection for a backup camera, it would be the side that mates with the red colored connection in this pic. It would explain why it's coming from the battery and running down the passenger side.
Yeah it looks like it would fit in the red input!
However, it's coming from the drivers side. Don't know if that's what u meant to put.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Yeah it looks like it would fit in the red input!
However, it's coming from the drivers side. Don't know if that's what u meant to put.
No, I misread your post but it wouldn't really matter. You can run the power down either side.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I would not mess with any item added on that is directly connected to the battery. If there is no fuse in the line, I would however, disconnect it from the battery.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That does not appear to be factory wiring at all. If it goes to the battery (and actually connects to it), it could have been a power lead for some now uninstalled accessory.

Hopefully it is NOT connected directly to the batter unless there is a fuse at the battery end of the wire.

Good advice to remove it but it might help if you take a pic of what it is connected to in case it is wired to something else.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That looks like a stereo mini plug. No idea why that would be tied to the battery. That's not typically used for voltage transfer, for power anyway. Are you sure it doesn't run to the back of the stereo, or possibly was a lead for a PA horn, or some kind of external speaker?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks like a stereo mini plug. No idea why that would be tied to the battery. That's not typically used for voltage transfer, for power anyway. Are you sure it doesn't run to the back of the stereo, or possibly was a lead for a PA horn, or some kind of external speaker?
Well when I asked a guy at an auto shop he seemed to think it was connected to the battery. So that's why I thought it did. It might not be, just going from what he said!

I'm gonna take a look underneath and see if I can see it attached to anything else

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That does not appear to be factory wiring at all. If it goes to the battery (and actually connects to it), it could have been a power lead for some now uninstalled accessory. Hopefully it is NOT connected directly to the batter unless there is a fuse at the battery end of the wire. Good advice to remove it but it might help if you take a pic of what it is connected to in case it is wired to something else.
It was really hard for me to trace the cord to where it's going under the hood. I just took a pic of what it looks like under the dash. (It's not directly connected to anything under dash) Don't think this helps much at all.. But thought I would add the pic anyways just in case any more ideas arise!

image-4246739110.jpg

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Sure looks like an audio jack to me. I would find someone to help me and have one person tug on the wire and the other under the hood to make sure you are following the correct wire.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just becaus it is a 3.5mm jack, does not necessarily mean that someone one wired it in for audio. It could also be an aux in for a data logging device.

The CB speaker occurred to me as well but those are usually mono (two pole versus three).

It is hard to tell but that looks like the location where the clutch master cylinder would be if that was a manual transmission jeep. None of the wires going through that hole would be factory.

The other hole is the one where the windshield washer fluid passes through for the rear glass of a hard top.

maybe it was one of those other wires going to the battery.

That was good advice to get someone to help you trace the wires.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure looks like an audio jack to me. I would find someone to help me and have one person tug on the wire and the other under the hood to make sure you are following the correct wire.
That's what they did at the shop and seemed to believe it was connected to the battery. But good idea I will get a friend and double check myself!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just becaus it is a 3.5mm jack, does not necessarily mean that someone one wired it in for audio. It could also be an aux in for a data logging device. The CB speaker occurred to me as well but those are usually mono (two pole versus three). It is hard to tell but that looks like the location where the clutch master cylinder would be if that was a manual transmission jeep. None of the wires going through that hole would be factory. The other hole is the one where the windshield washer fluid passes through for the rear glass of a hard top. maybe it was one of those other wires going to the battery. That was good advice to get someone to help you trace the wires.
I have an automatic transmission! But yes you could be right the other cord might be the one going to battery. I'm perplexed as to what it is for! I don't want to disconnect it just yet due to it might be useful for me. I wouldn't even be sure how to disconnect it.

I was hoping it was some type of hookup for a CB radio since I'm in the market to buy one but doesn't seem anyone think it is for that purpose.

I'm perplexed! Would the writing on the cord have anything to do with signifying it's use? Seems to be just numbers and letters. I believe "300" was
written on it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Definitely get a buddy to help you trace the wire. At first, I thought it might be an external speaker for a cb, but it wouldn't need to be routed to the engine compartment for that. Could be for a PA horn mounted in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely get a buddy to help you trace the wire. At first, I thought it might be an external speaker for a cb, but it wouldn't need to be routed to the engine compartment for that. Could be for a PA horn mounted in the engine compartment.
I almost wish I had the guys number who owned it before me and ask for an explanation! Haha

If only he knew how many people we're trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
It is definitely a 3 conductor mini-plug - normally used for stereo speaker connections. However, that does not mean that it is not used in another manner. A trace is definitely in order.

When I bought my 2003 TJ almost two years ago, there were a lot of questions I had, and then at a Scouting meeting I met the previous owner and got a lot of info. In fact, he and his oldest son are in a local troop and I see them on occasion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There's no logic that says that aux plug is connected to the battery. There's three conductors on that plug and all of them are openly exposed. If, big IF, they had connected that to the battery, all those terminals are exposed, and if that plug had contacted anything metal under the dash that was ground, there would have been a fire works show, the battery would be jacked up, and that cord would more than likely have melted.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts