Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add fog lights but I dont want an aftermarket switch I want the one that matches the rear wiper and defrost switch cause theres an empty place for another switch but will this switch work with after market wiring harnests? and will all wiring ahrnest work with all the after market lights?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I got one of those (thats how i bought it). The switch it self has a green light on it similar to the defroster light (just green). I believe its wired to the driving lights (1st click.. 2nd click is the headlights)
I'm preatty sure the dealer will have one.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got one of those (thats how i bought it). The switch it self has a green light on it similar to the defroster light (just green). I believe its wired to the driving lights (1st click.. 2nd click is the headlights)
I'm preatty sure the dealer will have one.

your switch controls the headlights also? mine is on the left side of the steering wheel it does the running lights then headlights then you turn it for the dome lights

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
that headlights switch is for the headlights them selves. The fog lights switch is right by the ashtray in the "empty place" The foglights need the headlights switch (left of steering wheel) to be pulled at least 1 click. All sumed up the headlights switch is the master. Foglight switch only turns the foglights on and off. The headlight switch needs to be pulled at least 1 click so the foglights can be turned on.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has any one added fog lights using aftermarket wiring ...whats the best way to go? a link would be helpful

has anyone maded it so that is doesent have to be wired to the headlight switch? can it be done?

thanks for any replys

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just got done doing this mod about 5 mons. ago so its still fresh in my mind.

1. Attach lites to bumber with fasteners.

2. Wire the lites together and run wire under the driver side fender and in there you will find a hole approx. 1-2" in diam. for the wire to slip into.

3. Attach the relay to the top of the drivers fender using one of the empty holes and a small bolt/nut.

4. While bolting the relay down you can supply your ground to the relay with a ring end and a 6" piece of wire with connector to fit on the relay ground pin.

5. Run a wire from your pos. side of the battery (fuse inline) to the terminal on the relay (dont connect the pos. terminal to the end of setup)

6. Remove the metal plate on the drivers side nearest the fire wall.

7. Beneath the metal plate there is a rubber plug, remove it and make a small hole (in the rubber plug).

8. Make a wiring harness out of the proper colored and length of wires ( I rapped them in electrical tape and full length heat shrink) so as to go from your switch thru the fire wall and rubber plug and under the metal plate removed and up to the fender where the relay is installed.

9. Connect your ground to the bolt that holds your relay.

10. Connect each wire to the relay.

11. Slip rubber back in fire wall

12. Replace plate and hardware

13. Hook up pos. wire to bat.

14. Test lights.

I'm pretty anal, so every wire was electrical taped in the homemade harness, then all of them were electrical taped together, then heat shrink over that. Each end had the proper size lug placed on it and then firmly connected to the relay (you can solder them to the realy for add security). All the lights wires were soldered together and then heat shrunk, electrical taped, plastik snaky tubed and(black zip tied).

I'm very safety minded.

The switch is installed to the dash with screws and it is a basic Wally World cheapy. It all works very well. Best part, didnt have to mess with anything on the electrical harness or in the dash board.

Conversely, you could also take a piece of alum about 1" by 1/8" thick and long enough for 4 - 6 relays and attach it to the bolt in the steps above. Another step could be to wire quick disconnects for the fog lights. Also you could install the switch into the column instead.

C.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I used switches that matched my ARB locker switches, but you can use the factory switch with aftermarket wiring.

Here is my switch setup.

Keep in mind, I didn't have factory defrost or wiper switches - all mine were blank.

I'm in the process (half done) of doing a homemade wiring setup for my IPF lights. I now have OEM lights on the bumper where the IPF's were, so I used their wiring harness for the OEM lights (didn't have to rerun everything). With my IPF light position, I'm doing a custom wiring job. I'm actually going to be doing a writeup with the parts I used, etc and how to wire it up here once I finish it (there will be pics).

The lights I'm wiring are above the winch.

PM me if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Liquid black tape is preatty good also as a sealent. I would use regular tape under and then paint over that with liquid tape. I bet you dont want your lights shorting out when you need them because they got wet. Dont forget a fuse right by the battery +.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i had my hellas wired up using a factory switch like you're talking about. it fits in the last open space to the right of the wiper switch. i picked it up from the dealer for like $25. i wanted it because i didn't want various aftermarket switches everywhere.......and then some time later still mounted the hella switch next to the steering wheel for my rock lights. oh well. at least it is hardly noticeable. my stock fog lights are controlled by a switch attached to the headlight stick/knob on the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The OEM Fog Light switch can be obtained at the Dealer. The part number is 5080861AA and costs about $28. You have to ask for a Fog Light switch from an early TJ, like a '97, but it will fit up to a '06 in the blank o/d slot.

I use one to run my driving lights, via a relay, and the OEM fogs are still on the turn signal switch. :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I like my aftermarket switches!!! :) But they're all the same and in the stock location too. :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
My ? is still, how on earth do you take apart the bezel and surrounding plastics '06 tj to get to the oem blanking plate to cut it and place the oem switch into it so you can have the light switch in there?

C.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
i didn´t use the factory switch for my fog lights. i installed some other switches in front of the hand-brake.
i use them for the fogs, four 130W high beams and a pair of 130W light on the rear.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thakns for all the replys im goin to try some wiring after I finish puttin in my lift on sunday

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ? is still, how on earth do you take apart the bezel and surrounding plastics '06 tj to get to the oem blanking plate to cut it and place the oem switch into it so you can have the light switch in there?

C.
im pretty sure i saw how to get to it when I installed my aftermarket cd player.... you take the top defroster grill thiny off then the screws in the ash try and theres 2 more i htink on the top somewhere n it comes out theres a write up somewhere on the internet on installyin an aftermarket cd player

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
My ? is still, how on earth do you take apart the bezel and surrounding plastics '06 tj to get to the oem blanking plate to cut it and place the oem switch into it so you can have the light switch in there?C.
Yep just as stated above you remove the top thing that surrounds the windows vent. A tug with a screw driver does the job although still gotta be carefull

There are 2 screws under it or right above the center vents for the drivers and passenger upper body

There is another screw under the ashtray. Take a look at my pic with out the face.

Who made that hole in the right tell me now!!! lol i'm just trying to find what was done to the jeep from the previews owner(s)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Here is a writeup I did on JF that talks about this stuff.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374040

I did my own wiring setup for my driving lights and used regular wire, a relay I picked up from o'Reilly's, one of my switches. It is VERY easy to do, and you have the benefit of custom cutting each wire to fit w/o having to use a generic harness.

That writeup with some pics, should be ready next week.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a writeup I did on JF that talks about this stuff.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374040

I did my own wiring setup for my driving lights and used regular wire, a relay I picked up from o'Reilly's, one of my switches. It is VERY easy to do, and you have the benefit of custom cutting each wire to fit w/o having to use a generic harness.

That writeup with some pics, should be ready next week.
can you post that link when its done in here? thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts