Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I have to buy a new head unit for auxilary or if i can get back behind the dash more and wire something?

I have this chord in my envoy that runs into the dash into a connecter for the headunit... Could i do this with the jeep?

I have a JVC KD-G210

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
there is this option...
FM Modulator (Amazon)
**there are probably better quality ones out there, I just did a quick amazon search

this is just a generic FM modulator, it plugs into the antenna input on the back of the stereo. Ive heard they work really well but have not used one myself.
These essentially work like the FM transmitters. Being plugged directly into the antenna greatly increases the signal quality, while reducing interference.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, an FM modulator would be your way to go without buying a new head unit. However, almost every new head unit out there has aux and/or USB input. They can be had for as low as $70 or something..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes, an FM modulator would be your way to go without buying a new head unit. However, almost every new head unit out there has aux and/or USB input. They can be had for as low as $70 or something..
heres a great example, this one has a USB port up front.
Amazon.com: Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo: Electronics

this one has the ability to stream music via bluetooth... which is just cool
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KDR820BT-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327111624&sr=1-1

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks guys. I'm tempted to put subs in and therefore get a quality Kenwood head unit (and an amp), but I know it would all get stolen, sooo yeah. I'll stick to cheap head units I guess.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
my thoughts exactly. I have had huge systems in all of my vehicles and now Im down to bare minimum cause I dont want to wake up one day to a ripped soft top and empty dashboard. If there is one piece of advise I have followed "Dont put anything in your Jeep that you dont want stolen"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my thoughts exactly. I have had huge systems in all of my vehicles and now Im down to bare minimum cause I dont want to wake up one day to a ripped soft top and empty dashboard. If there is one piece of advise I have followed "Dont put anything in your Jeep that you dont want stolen"
yeah maybe just a nice little upgrade to the speakers in the sound bar and dash

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have over $1000 just in my sound system in my jeep (soft top) yes stuff can be stolen but ways around that... Removed the rear seat and built a custom "lid box" persay to bolt over my speaker box.. It bolts to the brackets the back seat used... Now even with me knowing how to get it out takes a good 20 min atleast to unbolt the lid to get to the system... So even if the robber figures out how to get it off it will take him awhile, and thats with the tools so probaby wouldnt bother.... Lid covers everything except the speakers which u cant cover them..but covers just enough so u cant unscrew them and remove them from the box... In the attatched pic u can see how the driver side lid is extended to the rear more to cover the amp as well.. Plus i have more cargo space vs hacing rear seat... Now keep in mind i have no kids(nor plan on it lol) just me and my fiancee so dont need a rear seat, never used it once while it was in there (2 yrs) anyway...and have her vehicle if more space is needed so i kno not everyone can do this but if u do feel free to ask me for more details... It is a great idea and have helped 2 other friends do it as well

ForumRunner_20120121_104141.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also... I remove face off stereo and bring it in where ever i am, solves that problem of theft lol

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
luckyAD80 said:
Alright thanks guys. I'm tempted to put subs in and therefore get a quality Kenwood head unit (and an amp), but I know it would all get stolen, sooo yeah. I'll stick to cheap head units I guess.
I just bought one of these that I'm installing today (in the snow lol) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDA735B/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A735BT.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|JVC+Mobile

It has Bluetooth streaming, rear USB port, front USB port, and 3.5mm in. My stock one finally decided to stop reading CDs and I haven't had good luck with FM modulators.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts