Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m looking for some 4-5 inch round street legal driving lights. I want to augment the Quadratech LED headlamps that I put in.

All I can find are these PIAA ones.

http://www.piaa.com/lp550led

Any others out there to consider?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I did order some 5” PIAA lights and am planning on wiring them into my high beams. Do you know if I just need to figure out which wire powers the highs and tie into this? It’s an 08 so I don’t have to worry about flicker.

Was there a reason you didn’t do this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
couple reasons why I did separate power are
1) its illegal (at least in Fl) to run the external lights with high beams on (also not driver friendly for oncoming drivers)

2) it also has potential of causing issues with the CONBUS signals.

Running directly from the battery also allows ability to turn on the lights as need, even if not driving.

hope that helps

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. All good reasons. In Alberta we are allowed a set of drivers that come on with high beams.

You obviously know much more about wiring than I do. Do I simply tie in to the headlight power and ground wires themselves? I have quadratec LED headlights so I don’t think power drain should be an issue. If so, do this from 1 light or 2?

I read that 08s don't have to worry about flicker - does that mean I don’t have to worry about CANBUS?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
1) its illegal (at least in Fl) to run the external lights with high beams on (also not driver friendly for oncoming drivers)
This seems odd to me. Are you sure you've got that right?

I mean... normally it's illegal to have your high beams on when faced with oncoming traffic. So having a law that limits having MORE light to blind oncoming traffic seems pointless.

My driving lights are wired to ONLY come on when the high-beams are on (but are still on a separate switch). So when I hit the switch to enable them, they're then controlled by the high beam switch. This was how the wiring harness from IPF was designed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
regarding the wiring, not sure I would tap into the headlights. Sorry not that familiar with the 08's or the Quad LED lights; I prefer to keep things clean and easy to undo if something happens (i;e., I can just remove power from the battery if any issues comes up). You may want to contact Quadratec and ask if they have any recommendations.

regarding the FL law, do I know for a fact (by statue) no but I have talked enough with police friends and Jeepers that indicate this is the case. So why bring more attention to yourself and possibly cause issues with other drivers. So those are the reasons why I have the lights set up as I did. Its a matter of simply pushing a button (that came with the PIAA light kit) by the steering wheel if I need more light.

Not saying which is better but it works for me.

hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts