Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2013 Wrangler Sport. I want to increase the range by adding an auxiliary fuel tank. This will be the first mod to the Critter. On another thread that I searched up the company Long Ranger was mentioned.

I'm new to Jeeps. Any comments or wisdom?,... about the auxiliary tank and this jeep in general?

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a company that makes one out of aluminum that goes where exhaust is. So It would require modification of your factory exhaust. Genright.com has one. Expensive though but 20 gallons more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into gen Right's. I see there is a chip that will add a few more MPG. That sounds like an easy one.

I already have an email out to AEV. Hoping for a response.

If my calculations are correct, a total of 38.6 gallons with 20 mile per gallon rate, I should get a range of about 772 miles.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Chips don't add MPG. Don't waste your money on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have emails out to AEV, Genright and Long Ranger.

Observations:

Genright: I looked at their online catalog and it "seems" that the tanks are replacements or for the 4 door only, not in addition to the existing tank. My jeep is a 2 door.

Long Ranger: I cant see a vendor here in the US, but hope that they can help out.

AEV: I have an email out them also. If some one can elaborate on their system that would be great. Is their system more of a storage platform in the bumper?

Questions;

I'm pretty handy with building houses and such but don't think I want to handle this install. Where and who in Texas is a good place to have this sort of mod done?

Is it possible that the tank I want has not been developed yet since we are still in 2013?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have the AEV fuel caddy, and it fits directly behind your spare tire. It does hold 10 gal of gas, but it has to be jiggle siphoned to actually use it. It takes up no room, fits and looks great, and was pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
284 Posts
^ I think he's right. Even if a chip would actually help with the mpg I'd guess that any improvement would be offset by the added weight of the new tank + 130lbs of fuel.

With the AEV canister, think of it as an improved, much sleeker design on the jerrycans of old. Nothing that actually "hooks up" into your system. Is that right, igivup? For my money, I would think the difference between the 20 gallons you might be able to get out of an auxiliary tank - if you can find a good option - wouldn't be worth the extra money and headache vs. the 10 gallons you'd get pretty easily from the AEV caddy. But then I don't know what you have planned so maybe it would be worth it to you. Or get both! :p

The only reason I mentioned the bumper earlier is to clarify that the AEV bumper is not necessary to use the AEV tire carrier which would be needed to support the fuel caddy. The tire carrier actually hooks directly to your frame so you can keep your stock bumper which some people don't realize. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Observations:

Genright: I looked at their online catalog and it "seems" that the tanks are replacements or for the 4 door only, not in addition to the existing tank. My jeep is a 2 door.
Their website says that it is a direct fit for both 2 and 4 door wranglers. I'm not sure where the aux. tank mounts, but I would guess it goes behind the axle where the stock muffler is located.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes that's right LameStory. It is just a caddy, not a fuel tank, so it is not connected to the fuel system in any way. For me it was more of a means to carry extra fuel without giving up valuable space. An extra tank of gas for each of my quads. It is a solidly mounted set up, keeps the weight off my door, and pretty much blends right in with the carrier and spare. I never liked the idea of carrying cans in the back of the Jeep either. Too much oder and risk of spillage.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Am unable to open the AEV link and unless I missed it, the GenRight Site is silent on the subject of approval…
My 2¢: I’m not a fan of anything other than OEM or something that is TUV/US DOT approved.
Spouse of a coworker was carrying a gas can when involved in a wreck.
Can was damaged/failed and he was doused with fuel that then lit.
In addition to severe burns (Read: Months in a hospital/many surgeries), he lost all of the fingers on one hand and all but a thumb and one finger on the other hand. Poor SOB can barely tend to his own bodily needs.
These are most likely great products, but I’m just not comfortable for on-highway usage.
Maybe off road would be a different story...

·
dirt road inspector
2,995 Posts
Howdy;
Now please don't laugh but I went out drunk one day and bought my daughter a 2013 Wrangler Sport...Yeah...:dance:

Now, what do I do? First, can you all tell me what its called? Is it a TJ, FJ, CJ?

More importantly can someone direct me to the proper place on the forum to find out about adding an auxiliary fuel tank cell to this critter?
Forget about this mod. Keep your daughter's Jeep as stock as possible. Please.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Am unable to open the AEV link and unless I missed it, the GenRight Site is silent on the subject of approval…
My 2¢: I’m not a fan of anything other than OEM or something that is TUV/US DOT approved.
Spouse of a coworker was carrying a gas can when involved in a wreck.
Can was damaged/failed and he was doused with fuel that then lit.
In addition to severe burns (Read: Months in a hospital/many surgeries), he lost all of the fingers on one hand and all but a thumb and one finger on the other hand. Poor SOB can barely tend to his own bodily needs.
These are most likely great products, but I’m just not comfortable for on-highway usage.
Maybe off road would be a different story...

Very good point. And sorry to hear about your acquaintance. For at least a little peace of mind, though, AEV does address that a bit in their FAQs:

Is the Fuel Caddy safe?

Fuel is inherently dangerous, there is no way around that, so special care should be used with the Fuel Caddy. While we have taken every precaution, like building the tank out of super strong cross-linked polyethylene and locating the tank up out of the way of most crashes, we still caution to only use the Fuel Caddy as a temporary storage solution. Proper use would be to empty the fuel caddy as soon as possible after a trip or expedition, and to store empty. Other precautions that should be taken include using eye protection when transferring fuel from the Fuel Caddy, and to always touch the gas pump nozzle to the fill port of the fuel caddy while filling to reduce the dangers of static electricity build up.
I live in California, can I buy the AEV Fuel Caddy? Does it meet CARB regulations?

Yes, the AEV Fuel Caddy complies with all current CARB, EPA and DOT regulations.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
OP:
Years ago I had the brilliant plan to add a Jeep-dealer installed extra tank to my J2000 pick up.

That design managed to be fitted tightly into the space beneath the cab, with appropriate divots & angles to mount quite nicely up out of the way.

The dealer also included a spiffy little toggle switch so I could change tanks as desired.

Not only did the dealer then go out of business, none of the various Jeep dealers across 3 states want anything to do with some issues that arose shortly thereafter.

I don't know what they actually did that could have caused my miseries, as the tank pump and gauge actually worked as intended.

A host of electric issues ensued that would make it simply die while charging down the road, for no reason anyone ever could diagnose. Despite spending well over $1000 at the best equipped dealers and automotive electrical specialty shops, the issue was never fixed.

It might die for 20 minutes or 3 days.

Given the relative simplistic black-box brain of the era, even that was not capable of reliability after the install of the gas tank.

Not that it is anything like your JK......still, misery and expensive travail for no real advantage, all related to a 'spare gas tank'.

Personally I'm not doing such an install again, and will rely on other options.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Observations:

Long Ranger: I cant see a vendor here in the US, but hope that they can help out.

AEV: I have an email out them also. If some one can elaborate on their system that would be great. Is their system more of a storage platform in the bumper?

Questions;

I'm pretty handy with building houses and such but don't think I want to handle this install. Where and who in Texas is a good place to have this sort of mod done?

Is it possible that the tank I want has not been developed yet since we are still in 2013?
The Genright aux tank will fit a 2dr, look under features. It's mounted where the stock muffler is located.

GenRight's Jeep JK Gas Tank

1 - 20 of 32 Posts