Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the gauge of the auxiliary wires, specifically the ignition wire? Also, what wire gauge to cb radios typically come with?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
For CB is believe 12-16g.. I used 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
CB is very low draw. It's only a 4W transmitter. No need to go thicker than 16ga or so. But thicker doesn't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
CB is very low draw. It's only a 4W transmitter. No need to go thicker than 16ga or so. But thicker doesn't hurt.

Agreed. I like to overbuild... everything lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just wired in a 12V power port to the center console. There is a USB in there but no 12V source. I needed 12V power to plug my CB in to. I use a hand held CB with a car kit.

I used the factory provided pigtail under the dash for constant 12V battery power. It is fused for 10 amps. I was surprised that wire gauge was so small, 18 gauge I think, but it only carries 10 amps. I upsized my wiring to 16 gauge. No need to go bigger when it is fused for so little.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I just wired in a 12V power port to the center console. There is a USB in there but no 12V source. I needed 12V power to plug my CB in to. I use a hand held CB with a car kit.

I used the factory provided pigtail under the dash for constant 12V battery power. It is fused for 10 amps. I was surprised that wire gauge was so small, 18 gauge I think, but it only carries 10 amps. I upsized my wiring to 16 gauge. No need to go bigger when it is fused for so little.
Keep in mind though that longer runs need thicker wire.

I always set up a fuse block near the battery and run all of my auxiliary components off wires run from there. I don't like relying on something that was "value engineered" by people trying to save a couple of pennies and an ounce or two.

That being said, a CB takes just a couple of amps at most so 18 gauge is probably good enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts