Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering adding an auxiliary backup light. I am looking at smaller LED and will likely put it on a switch to use when needed. I am wanting to see pictures of some of the locations, light types and switch locations some of you guys have tried. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interested in this myself.
Back when dirt was young and so was I, I mounted a tractor flood light on the driver's corner of the rear bumper, wired it thorugh a toggle on the dash: crude but worked.
Smaller LED sounds like low current draw ... I'm looking forward to solutions by wiser and more experienced folk than I!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out High Beam lighting on Facebook and look at their rokshots. Work great and you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't have any mounted yet, but I also plan to mount some aux back up lights. I've seen several people mounting theirs over their rearview and that's where my switchbox is going when all my components come in. Easy and out of the way, looks cool up there.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Am considering adding an auxiliary backup light. I am looking at smaller LED and will likely put it on a switch to use when needed. I am wanting to see pictures of some of the locations, light types and switch locations some of you guys have tried. Thanks!
I really like the clean look of the Rigid SRM Tail Light Mounts. Those mounts are designed to work Rigid SRM lights only.

You can mount them to a switch in the switch pod of your choice. A lot of guys are happy with the S-pod if you plan on running a lot of auxiliary circuits. Let me know if you're interested in those mounts or anything else and I'll get you a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I mounted a 4 ft steel bar across my tire carrier and put on some Rigid Dually floods.
Trimmed the bar to line up with the tailgate edges.
Grounded out slots to run the wiring through.
And then plastidipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I mounted a 4 ft steel bar across my tire carrier and put on some Rigid Dually floods. Trimmed the bar to line up with the tailgate edges. Grounded out slots to run the wiring through. And then plastidipped.
Do you have any close-up pictures of the mount?
I like that idea.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm at work so I just did this quick mock up.. scales are not entirely accurate. I can take photos later.

It's was a 4" x 1" steel bar the the connectors fit in there just right.

The 2 inch holes at the bottom are where the wires route through.

This is on a smittybilt oversized tire carrier.

Attachments

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
That looks a lot like the Olympic 4x4 Rear Light Bar. It mounts in the stock tailgate holes so you don't have to drill anything. It is designed to be used with a swing out tire carrier and not the factory one, but it's an option and may give you some other ideas for your fab.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm at work so I just did this quick mock up.. scales are not entirely accurate. I can take photos later.

It's was a 4" x 1" steel bar the the connectors fit in there just right.

The 2 inch holes at the bottom are where the wires route through.

This is on a smittybilt oversized tire carrier.
Hard top owners need to make sure that the rear window can open when using this type of mount. I began down that path, but used some bar to mock it up before building and noticed that anything that extended beyond the spare on the passenger side would also prevent the rear window from swinging open. Also, on the driver side, would interfere with the tailgate handle.

It led me to a specific build for mine, but becomes dependent on the wheel. Mine is for the '13 Sahara wheel and I'll have to figure something else out when these tires wear out and I replace the wheels and rubber.

Not an issue if you are soft top only, but it you have the OEM hard top, just a heads up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yep, I looked at that $124 olympic light bar. And then built mine for $15 and less than an hour of work.
But if you don't have the tools, the time or the know how, that light bar looks like a pretty good option.

If it weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting the maximus 3 tire carrier and mounting the light on that.

I sold my hard top the first week I bought had my jeep. So that's not a problem.
But it should still possible to mount this a little lower in line with the tailgate.

I considered putting them behind the wheel, but I ultimately decided that I wanted them to be adjustable utility lights as well. Thanks for sharing your setup.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yep, I looked at that $124 olympic light bar. And then built mine for $15 and less than an hour of work.
But if you don't have the tools, the time or the know how, that light bar looks like a pretty good option.

If it weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting the maximus 3 tire carrier and mounting the light on that.

I sold my hard top the first week I bought had my jeep. So that's not a problem.
But it should still possible to mount this a little lower in line with the tailgate.

I considered putting them behind the wheel, but I ultimately decided that I wanted them to be adjustable utility lights as well. Thanks for sharing your setup.
You can't mount them low enough on the "STOCK" spare mount. Because of the backspace, you have to set the bar on the frontside (side nearest the front of the Jeep, between the tailgate and spare mount). So you're limited on how low you can go, and it simply won't clear (I tried). I really like the mount you have and logistically, it's a lot better because it will work with any wheel and gives you more aim (left, right, up, down). I run my hard top in winter and soft top the rest of the year, so I did need to some up with something to accommodate both, or simply not use the lift gate on the hard top (which is the best feature of it).

The only other "pro" to mounting behind the spare is that it will make them a little more difficult to steal the lights if someone is so inclined.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from your design and would actually prefer to go with it if I could. I just wanted to warn someone who might go the entire length of mounting it and then learning that the lift gate wouldn't work. I believe the Olympic bar gets around this limitation by curving away from the back as it gets near the ends of the bar. I may mock up another similar design that does this so it would work independent of the wheel type and hard or soft top.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can't mount them low enough on the "STOCK" spare mount. Because of the backspace, you have to set the bar on the frontside (side nearest the front of the Jeep, between the tailgate and spare mount). So you're limited on how low you can go, and it simply won't clear (I tried). I really like the mount you have and logistically, it's a lot better because it will work with any wheel and gives you more aim (left, right, up, down). I run my hard top in winter and soft top the rest of the year, so I did need to some up with something to accommodate both, or simply not use the lift gate on the hard top (which is the best feature of it).

The only other "pro" to mounting behind the spare is that it will make them a little more difficult to steal the lights if someone is so inclined.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from your design and would actually prefer to go with it if I could. I just wanted to warn someone who might go the entire length of mounting it and then learning that the lift gate wouldn't work. I believe the Olympic bar gets around this limitation by curving away from the back as it gets near the ends of the bar. I may mock up another similar design that does this so it would work independent of the wheel type and hard or soft top.
I really like your setup and was considering something similar. I like that you have them behind for security reasons. And I think your set up is cleaner as well.
I just went cheap and easy. Hahaha....

I still owe some pictures. I'll try to grab them today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts