Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount a small pair of LED's to the winch guard bar on the front bumper and I would like to have them tied into the fog lights so when the fogs are activated they come on. I was told that due to the sensitivity of the CANBUS I cant just splice them into the fog light wiring it would generate error codes can anyone confirm fact or fiction ?

Ed

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, I have read multiple internet posts where guys have said they tapped into the fog light harness on a JL to power up small Led's on their front bumper. With that said, I would say give it a try and you will probably be aok. I would install a Roadmaster 690 Single Park Light Diode on that line going to your Led's. Doing this helps out in regard to Canbus. (I recommend the Roadmaster as it is durable and withstands weather, etc.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might also consider using the tap into the factory fog lights as a trigger to a relay that powers the aux lights. The relay would be wired to ground and direct into battery power bypassing CANBUS (save for the trigger wire) which would be virtually no load. The aux lights would/could/should be independently fused.

Which brings up a related question on the JL AUX switches. Are they similar to, say the Ford Raptor where those 6 switches are pre-fused and designed to take the documented load 10 AMP to 30 AMP based on the switch? Or are the Jeep AUX switches just meant to be relay triggers?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might also consider using the tap into the factory fog lights as a trigger to a relay that powers the aux lights. The relay would be wired to ground and direct into battery power bypassing CANBUS (save for the trigger wire) which would be virtually no load. The aux lights would/could/should be independently fused.
That's a great idea I think I want to use the high beams as the trigger since even with replacing the bulbs with LED's they still kinda suck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same question but no way I understand what you guys are talking about. I think I'm gonna have to pay someone to wire my lights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try this:

Substitute the fan in the video for your aux lights - one or more (take care on load ratings). Substitute the toggle switch for a tap-in to your switched source like high beam hot wire, etc. There are probably better videos on YouTube showing this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts