Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what is likely a very simple question to those in the know:

I am strongly considering an aftermarket bumper that does not house the factory fog lights, which I happen to enjoy as my night time vision isn't so great and they are a big help on the trail as it get's dark early in the woods.

The new bumper has mounts for lights, which I plan to fill with a pair of 6 inch aftermarket fogs. Can I simply tap the wiring from these new lights into the harness from the factory fogs, which will be tucked out of the way behind the grille as it is no longer attached to anything? I like the idea of skipping the extra switch and keeping the functionality of the on/off on the headlight stem. Is there a wattage constraint that I am not considering that may endanger the factory wiring to this light? I am thinking my solution is too simple and I may be asking too much of this existing wiring harness.

Thanks in advance!

And by the way, it's funny how one mod logically and systematically flows into the next and the next and so on...all I wanted was a different bumper, now I am oogling aftermarket lights. I am sure the new bumper will certainly warrant matching rock sliders...then a new rear bumper.... it does not end...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What year is your Jeep? If it's an 07-09 there is a Mopar wiring kit that allows you to plug auxiliary lighting directly into the stock harness. It's about $30.

If you have a 10-12 you are SOL with finding a factory connection for the fog lights. I've been searching for 2 months and it's not out there. I am almost to the point of breaking the glass off of the stock bulbs (they're $50 each at the dealer. Gulp) and soldering wires to them because I also want to use the stock switch and harness to control the aftermarket light relay.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
WOW, that is super cheap! With the money you are saving on that bumper you could mount a pair of the Rigid Dually's in there from the bar and have a TON of light! These things put out more light than the stock lights and fogs put together. Plus we have free shipping on them!

Rigid Dually 2x2 LED Light

You would just need to add the bar brackets to mount them...

-Jason

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is your Jeep? If it's an 07-09 there is a Mopar wiring kit that allows you to plug auxiliary lighting directly into the stock harness. It's about $30.

If you have a 10-12 you are SOL with finding a factory connection for the fog lights. I've been searching for 2 months and it's not out there. I am almost to the point of breaking the glass off of the stock bulbs (they're $50 each at the dealer. Gulp) and soldering wires to them because I also want to use the stock switch and harness to control the aftermarket light relay.
This sound sweet, I can't seem to find it, gotta link?

Thanks

I have an '08, BTw

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey, I for got to put it all on my pm, but for the fog lights on mine, I am using just cheap "Blazer" lights from walmart, and then you can buy a relay kit from a place like O'Reillys and you just tap into the factory fog and use the + power from the fog to trigger the relay and run it straight from the battery. Easy to do and I can give you some more details if you want. The blazer lights work well, put out the right light, I can't drive at night without them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I for got to put it all on my pm, but for the fog lights on mine, I am using just cheap "Blazer" lights from walmart, and then you can buy a relay kit from a place like O'Reillys and you just tap into the factory fog and use the + power from the fog to trigger the relay and run it straight from the battery. Easy to do and I can give you some more details if you want. The blazer lights work well, put out the right light, I can't drive at night without them.
I would love a bit more detail, if you don't mind. I see you have two sets up lights up front, I assume the rectangular ones are the "blazer" lights? I am thinking about putting just 6" fogs on the same bumper you have and connecting to the new lights onto what will be the unused factory fog harness and therefore not needing the switch added to the cabin.

·
Registered
771 Posts
gluestick said:
I would love a bit more detail, if you don't mind. I see you have two sets up lights up front, I assume the rectangular ones are the "blazer" lights? I am thinking about putting just 6" fogs on the same bumper you have and connecting to the new lights onto what will be the unused factory fog harness and therefore not needing the switch added to the cabin.
You could do that, but the bat for the front goes right by the lights and a 6" light would be mostly blocked. Mine are running off of the factory switch. The other 2 sets of lights are on switches but the fogs running off of the factory fog switch. The power is through the relay. Not to be rude or insulting, but do you know how a relay works/what its function is?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This sound sweet, I can't seem to find it, gotta link?

Thanks

I have an '08, BTw
Here

With an 08 you may actually be able to run decent aftermarket lights on the factory wiring with these adaptors. On the 10 and up you can't because the stock wiring is limited to under 50 watts of total power, but I think the earlier models can handle some decent lights.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Oilwell. With these is it as simple as unplugging the factory fogs, plugging these in, then running the wiring off aftermarket lights to this harness? No relay or fuses or additional switches in the cabin?

El Gringo- what I was thinking was just a single set of lights up front, simply some 6" fogs on the tubular bumper and no secondary lights as you have with your rectangular pair. And no offense taken, I am getting my education here, I don't really understand what a relay is for. Thanks for taking your time to help me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
gluestick said:
Thanks Oilwell. With these is it as simple as unplugging the factory fogs, plugging these in, then running the wiring off aftermarket lights to this harness? No relay or fuses or additional switches in the cabin?

El Gringo- what I was thinking was just a single set of lights up front, simply some 6" fogs on the tubular bumper and no secondary lights as you have with your rectangular pair. And no offense taken, I am getting my education here, I don't really understand what a relay is for. Thanks for taking your time to help me.
There are a total of 4 light tabs. 2 up on top and 2 where I have the blazers. So you are wanting to put the fogs up high? If you do, and you are running them so you can see better at night, they may be too focused when you aim them down at the road but I guess that depends on which light you use.

A relay is essentially a switch that can accept higher amps and power. So basically you run some lights off of a relay so your switch doesn't burn up. When you turn on your switch, it triggers the relay to turn on which draws power directly from the battery, and sends it directly to the lights (or whatever you are powering) instead of going through all the factory wiring. So you add relay systems to run high power electronics that the factory wiring wont support or isn't there for.
Hope that helps some. Once you start wiring them up, it goes pretty well. If you can use the factory wiring with the thing they gave you the link for then I would do that unless you want to practice making relay systems.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are a total of 4 light tabs. 2 up on top and 2 where I have the blazers. So you are wanting to put the fogs up high? If you do, and you are running them so you can see better at night, they may be too focused when you aim them down at the road but I guess that depends on which light you use.

A relay is essentially a switch that can accept higher amps and power. So basically you run some lights off of a relay so your switch doesn't burn up. When you turn on your switch, it triggers the relay to turn on which draws power directly from the battery, and sends it directly to the lights (or whatever you are powering) instead of going through all the factory wiring. So you add relay systems to run high power electronics that the factory wiring wont support or isn't there for.
Hope that helps some. Once you start wiring them up, it goes pretty well. If you can use the factory wiring with the thing they gave you the link for then I would do that unless you want to practice making relay systems.
Thanks, Gringo. I was just curious if the factory harness can handle the higher power draw of aftermarket fogs. I am not opposed to adding switches to the cockpit, but if I can control the lights with a built in switch on the headlight stem I'm not using (won't have the factory fogs anymore), that just makes sense.

I do want to run a pair "up high" on the mounting tabs on the same bumper you are running. I did not realize there was a low pair of mounting tabs as well. They don't have to be million candlepower burn a hole in your retina deals, just something to replace the factory fogs that I will lose with the tubular bumper. I'm hoping the focus aspect can be tweaked with a bit of aiming of the beam.

How did you control the wiring coming off the lights? Zip tie to tubular bumper or is there any way to tap a hole in and route wires inside the bumper?

Thanks again for your time, I am learning a lot.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It is my understanding that this is correct. Hopefully someone with a pre-10 model can confirm it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks, Gringo. I was just curious if the factory harness can handle the higher power draw of aftermarket fogs. I am not opposed to adding switches to the cockpit, but if I can control the lights with a built in switch on the headlight stem I'm not using (won't have the factory fogs anymore), that just makes sense.

I do want to run a pair "up high" on the mounting tabs on the same bumper you are running. I did not realize there was a low pair of mounting tabs as well. They don't have to be million candlepower burn a hole in your retina deals, just something to replace the factory fogs that I will lose with the tubular bumper. I'm hoping the focus aspect can be tweaked with a bit of aiming of the beam.

How did you control the wiring coming off the lights? Zip tie to tubular bumper or is there any way to tap a hole in and route wires inside the bumper?

Thanks again for your time, I am learning a lot.
I'm running the "fogs" power through a relay, but the switch inside on the stem, for the factory fogs is what activates the relay, so no extra switches. You could probably mount the lights upside-down on the brackets and they would be closer to the ground. For the wiring, I just pulled the wires through a wire loom and zip tied them closed at the ends and zip-tied them to the wire loom for the factory fogs. Oh, and don't forget to tape closed your terminals for the factory fog light plugs, don't want water and mud/debris in there. There are a few holes on the bumper, with plugs, but none where they are helpful.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I had thought about doing that, but I hate thinking for more than 5 minutes atta time-

Did you run your light wires inside the MBRP rack?
So I routed the lights/wires thru a previous access hole in the hard top, then thru the roll bar padding to the sPOD "source box" in the engine compt--

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts