Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Theres been a few 2.5 auto wranglers around for sale. Been tempted to drive one just for the heck of it. With the right gearing it would be a hoot for a trail rig. It was used in the Comanche PU's with the 2.5 or the 4.0. What it would take to slip one into a YJ, Im not sure. Personally Id take a Aisin Warner trans over a Chrysler automatic any day. Bad on the AW4 in a 2.5 is it has OD.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I dont think there is any way to adapt a AW4 to a 2.5. The 2.5 does not share the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 4.0

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Very few jeep XJs came from the factory with a 2.5l and AW4. I've seen 1 at the pick and pull in an 89 XJ with 2.5l. You will also need an XJ TCU and ECU to run it right in your YJ. The jeep 2.5l also has the same bellhousing as 60 degree chevy blocks. With the right flexplate and torque converter a 60 degree 700r4 or th350 could fit to a 2.5l block as well with a transfer case adapter. JB conversions sells cheap adapters....

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903587

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I looking for a bellhousing or an adapter to put my 4.0l AW4 behind a 2.5l engine. Me and my daughter are building a project YJ for her first car when she turns 16. Just need the hard parts to make it work. I can handle the electronics to make it work.
My transmission shop buddy said the v6 isuzu rodeo has a version of the aw4 transmission that will have a 60 degree bellhousing that bolts to an aw4 for a 2.5l jeep. Otherwise 1984-1990 2.5l aw4 XJ Cherokees and MJ Comanches exist so that is an option for a bellhousing as well.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I actually got more info on the isuzu bellhousing, it has to be a late model 2000-2004 honda passport/isuzu rodeo or trooper with v6. The trans model is (30-40 LE) or (30-43 LE). There is also a 4l30e model trans that does not work for the aw4 that came in these vehicles as well.

So right bellhousing

Wrong bellhousing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts