Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an AX-15 (external slave style) Front Bearing Retainer to complete my parts list for converting my ‘92 to external slave. I have a complete low mile spare 4.0/AX-15/231 with OEM external slave but I don’t want to scavenge things off of it.

All the aftermarket ones I see (Omix-ADA/Crown, APDTY, ZMAX, etc.) all look like the same casting, including all the generic brands. They all have what appears to be ‘AS’ cast into them, with most having a numeral 1 (although I have seen others) cast in the lower right corner. These are obviously NLA from Chrysler under PN 4636382.

The price swings wildly from $80 to $215. Does anyone know if these are all in fact cast at the same foundry, and just marketed under differing brands?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No clue but I'd just buy the cheapest one and rock on...

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Gottagofast is correct. Price isn't an indicator of quality.
I think the seller is important when ordering anything online. I don't know how much they might charge, but I'd check out Advanced Adapters. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and deal with a reputable seller than some guy operating out of his garage that has your item dropped shipped from China.

Let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I think (just my personal opinion) a lot of all the Crown/Omix/Rugged Ridge/ "Freds" stuff is all the same except for the pkg. All made in some obscure factory in some obscure country. Unless it's an improved design, or heavier duty upgrade, I try to shop for value from a vendor that will back up whatever the product is regardless of the mfr. warranty. Seems to be a lot less headaches in the long run.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Omix-ADA stuff varies wildly they seem to use whatever suppler they can get at the cheapest price they can get it. I bought a shift fork for my NP231 from Omix-ADA since New Process parts are out of production. When i received it i expected a cheap Chinese knockoff but it was actually marked made in USA and looked like a quality part. Not everything they sell is good quality though. I think some stuff they sell has an extremely high markup.

The Ax15 is still in production Asian is still making parts. I would buy the cheapest one you can find they might all be made by Asian or their supplier anyways so why pay markup?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think (just my personal opinion) a lot of all the Crown/Omix/Rugged Ridge/ "Freds" stuff is all the same except for the pkg. All made in some obscure factory in some obscure country. Unless it's an improved design, or heavier duty upgrade, I try to shop for value from a vendor that will back up whatever the product is regardless of the mfr. warranty. Seems to be a lot less headaches in the long run.
I agree this is the case for a lot of the “manufacturers” (I use that term loosely) out there.

Omix-ADA stuff varies wildly they seem to use whatever suppler they can get at the cheapest price they can get it. I bought a shift fork for my NP231 from Omix-ADA since New Process parts are out of production. When i received it i expected a cheap Chinese knockoff but it was actually marked made in USA and looked like a quality part. Not everything they sell is good quality though. I think some stuff they sell has an extremely high markup.

The Ax15 is still in production Asian is still making parts. I would buy the cheapest one you can find they might all be made by Asian or their supplier anyways so why pay markup?
Agreed again. I bought a new front retainer from an eBay seller a couple years ago. Had a generic company sticker over a tiny Aisin tag with the PN and “Made in Japan” imprinted. Machining was impeccable. Conversely, I don’t really trust that Crown and Omix aren’t knocking them off in China. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the seller from my last one.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts