Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. My 95 YJ 4 banger with ax-5 just turned 120k miles. About 200 miles ago, second gear started giving me trouble when downshifting. It had never given me any problems whatsoever, so I was a little surprised. I changed the fluid, which came out a tan murky color (must've gotten some water in it), and added 3 quarts of redline mt90 and filled the last 1/2 quart with Lucas oil stabilizer. After about 100+ miles, the shifting seems to have gotten smoother shifting through every gear, yet ONLY downshifting to second grinds. I've tried double clutching with no luck, and it seems no matter how careful I am it wants to grind going into second. It seems to point to the synchros being shot, but the sudden onset still makes me wonder. Anything I'm missing or should try? Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If you have driven a class 8 vehicle then you can get double clutching to work. Since a big truck's trans doesn't have synchronizers in it.

Upshifting is clutch to neutral and clutch to gear. Down shifting is clutch to neutral, rev it up approx. 600 rpm's, and clutch to gear.

Water in the trans is most likely the culprit that destroyed the 2nd gear synchronizers.

With water comes dirt and sand, things like that don't mix well with things used to being in a gear lube bath all of their lives.

2nd and 3rd are always the first of the gears to lose their synchro's. Since they are the most common gears to be in while driving around town. If you wait long enough for the rebuild or swap, 3rd gear will be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same problem shifting up or down into second. Thanks for posting and for the replies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have driven a class 8 vehicle then you can get double clutching to work. Since a big truck's trans doesn't have synchronizers in it.

Upshifting is clutch to neutral and clutch to gear. Down shifting is clutch to neutral, rev it up approx. 600 rpm's, and clutch to gear.

Water in the trans is most likely the culprit that destroyed the 2nd gear synchronizers.

With water comes dirt and sand, things like that don't mix well with things used to being in a gear lube bath all of their lives.

2nd and 3rd are always the first of the gears to lose their synchro's. Since they are the most common gears to be in while driving around town. If you wait long enough for the rebuild or swap, 3rd gear will be doing the same thing.
Okay I didn't realize double clutching involved that little "blip" of the throttle. I tried that and I was able to get it to downshift to second without grinding. Kind of a pain in the butt though. Anyways I know it'll probably start to go on me someday....so I think I'll just throw a v8 in there lol. A guy has a 318 out of a 96 ram and a nv3500 tranny out of a 2001 ram. Does anyone know if the tranny has to come out of a 4wd vehicle?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing. Did the Lucas oil stabilizer do more harm than good for me? I've read of people fixing their grinding problems with redline mt90 like I put in, so I'm wondering if I would've been better off going all redline instead of the last half quart of Lucas. Would it be worth it, and how would I go about flushing the tranny? Anything that I can do to help the problem for the time being would be great.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The NV3500 is a good trans, but a 2wd version isn't the same as a 4wd version. You can make it work, but it requires dismantling the trans and replacing the tail shaft and end housing. Really it's more work than what it's worth. Easier to just get an NV3500 out of a 4wd.

As far as the lucas oil stabilizer, I don't see any harm in using it, I just don't see the reason behind using it. trans oil isn't the same as engine oil, as in it doesn't see the friction and heat that engine oil does, so, not much need for an oil stabilizer in the trans oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The NV3500 is a good trans, but a 2wd version isn't the same as a 4wd version. You can make it work, but it requires dismantling the trans and replacing the tail shaft and end housing. Really it's more work than what it's worth. Easier to just get an NV3500 out of a 4wd.

As far as the lucas oil stabilizer, I don't see any harm in using it, I just don't see the reason behind using it. trans oil isn't the same as engine oil, as in it doesn't see the friction and heat that engine oil does, so, not much need for an oil stabilizer in the trans oil.
Yeah I gotcha. The reason I went with it was because I had 3 quarts of redline and rather than ordering a 4th, I just used some Lucas to fill the last half quart or so. It said it was safe to run Lucas in a 75/25% ratio so I figured it'd be fine. I'll keep looking for a 4wd tranny then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts