Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy at all. I drained my transmission fluid in the Ax-5 and it's nothing short of disgusting. I can't post a picture up from my phone, but I will later on the computer.

Basically, I would like to know what kind of oil I can fill the tranny up with, ride around town once, and then re-drain again.

The 75-90w is pretty expensive, so I would prefer not to use that as the flush-oil. Is there something else I can use?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, there are two 15/16th hex head bolts on the passengers side. One is lower and more aft. The other is above and more forward. They are diagonally from each other about 2 inches.

Which one is the fill plug?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I flushed mine with straight 30w....drove about 15 miles and then drained and filled with Syncromesh. the top one is the fill plug. I used a hand pump for an outboard motor lower unit that fit on the oil bottle. fill until it starts to flow out. it takes about 7.4 pints.

·
Registered
456 Posts
In addition, there are two 15/16th hex head bolts on the passengers side. One is lower and more aft. The other is above and more forward. They are diagonally from each other about 2 inches.

Which one is the fill plug?
If you try to fill it through the bottom one……..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you try to fill it through the bottom one……..
I don't mean the plug on the bottom of the tranny, I mean the bottom plug as in the plug just below the other plug on the side of the tranny. There's two of them just inches apart and I wanted to make sure one of them wasn't a "Do Not Remove" plug lol.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The lower of the 2 should have "do not remove" stamped on or near it. But the plug that is higher is the fill plug.

You can use all most any kind of oil for a flush, as long as it isn't a high detergent oil. 10W30 would work fine.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lower of the 2 should have "do not remove" stamped on or near it. But the plug that is higher is the fill plug.

You can use all most any kind of oil for a flush, as long as it isn't a high detergent oil. 10W30 would work fine.
10w30 would definitely be cheap enough to buy for a couple flushes. I was reading that some guys use that in the tranny all the time. Would that be ok mix fluid types bc my Ax-5 always had gear oil in it?

So what I'm asking is that ok to use for a flush and then go back to GL or Syncromesh?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, use the least expensive 10W30 from Walmart. Drive 20 miles, then drain it while it's warm.
Sounds good I might even do a double flush though, it was really nasty lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts