Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between an AX-5 and an AX-15 from the outside of the tranny ? Is there a mark or characteristic on the outside so I dont have to pull it and count splines ? I need to fix mine and would like to be sure exactly what I have. I know that 4 cyl came with the 5 and the 6 cyl came with the 15 but my jeep has had numerous mods and upgrades so I cant be sure what I actually have.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So am I correct that the center section is steel in the AX-5 and it is aluminum in the AX-15 ?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the info ,looks like I have an AX-5

·
Registered
274 Posts
another notable caracterisitc is that, the 4 cyl only has the ax-5 mounted to it, the 6 cyl has the ax-15. they cannot be swapped for one another on 2 reasons. one the ax-5 is a light duty tranny. the ax-15 is a medium duty tranny. I researched this because I was going to put a ax-15 in my 4 cyl, but the bell housing will not match up. I hope this helps also for anyone who stumbles across this.

Reactions: gl0

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
another notable caracterisitc is that, the 4 cyl only has the ax-5 mounted to it, the 6 cyl has the ax-15. they cannot be swapped for one another on 2 reasons. one the ax-5 is a light duty tranny. the ax-15 is a medium duty tranny. I researched this because I was going to put a ax-15 in my 4 cyl, but the bell housing will not match up. I hope this helps also for anyone who stumbles across this.
Using the bellhousing form a late '90s 2.5L Dakota will allow you to install the AX-15 or the NV3550 to our 2.5L

Ill have one of these bells in the next week or two.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was told that since our 2.5L couldnt produce the power that installing the transmission was a waste of time. again, that was just from what I was told. I didnt go any farther since it wasnt made clear that way.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I was told that since our 2.5L couldnt produce the power that installing the transmission was a waste of time. again, that was just from what I was told. I didnt go any farther since it wasnt made clear that way.
He he, the AX-5 breaks behind the stock 2.5L I believe this is why they put the AX-15/NV3550 behind it in the Dakota (In a 2WD configuration).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I swapped an AX15 in my 2.5 after destroying the AX5. It is in no way a waste of time or money if you are going to run tires over 31" and beat it up on the trails. Anyone who was telling someone that it cant be done, or shouldn't be done was talking out their ass. It is something a lot of people that wheel the 2.5 do. I wheel it in 4X4 low 90% of the time. The amount of stress I put on the AX15 is more then most people put on it with a 6.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've never had mine break on me yet...I replaced the OE because it was just old and the syncros were shot, but never had the input shaft break. thats useful info though, good call on my bad call.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Its not too much snapping the shaft. 1st, you will destroy 5th gear with larger tires and a lift on the highway. The extra height in the wind and larger tires cause the snap ring to fail and pop off. 2nd are the bearings. If you look at the AX15 and AX5 side by side you will see a huge difference. The gears are larger, shafts are larger, bearings are larger, case is larger. It is the AX5 on steroids. If someone plans on modifying their Jeep and offroading it usually is not too big of a concern at first. But if you kill the AX5, dont fix it or replace it with an AX5. I already made that mistake and am happy to share my bad decision with others before they do the same. Just bite the bullet and do an AX15 swap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
well with that being said, im about to put 285/75/r16 (roughly 32.7") tires on my rig. is that going to cause me any problems with this tranny? if so im gonna start looking for the AX-15 to put in it. I just want to be sure that for now i'll be able to ride in comfort knowing that the tranny can withstand that about of tire. I have 31x10.50x15 on it right now.

·
Registered
670 Posts
well with that being said, im about to put 285/75/r16 (roughly 32.7") tires on my rig. is that going to cause me any problems with this tranny? if so im gonna start looking for the AX-15 to put in it. I just want to be sure that for now i'll be able to ride in comfort knowing that the tranny can withstand that about of tire. I have 31x10.50x15 on it right now.
Ive been beating on mine for 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen this discussion before, I have NO intention to change over to an AX-15, I am old and dont flog on my Jeep. What I was trying to determine was a way to tell the two trannys apart. I am a 40+ year tech and if I didnt know what I was looking at I wouldnt know the difference. Thanks for all your feed back

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have seen this discussion before, I have NO intention to change over to an AX-15, I am old and dont flog on my Jeep. What I was trying to determine was a way to tell the two trannys apart. I am a 40+ year tech and if I didnt know what I was looking at I wouldnt know the difference. Thanks for all your feed back
Yeah sometimes I wonder how much longer my ax15 will last with how I treat it. I know I am going to kill it, just a matter of when. But my jeep it's a you so it is ok if it does.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Well...if you guys need a good AX-15 and can't find one closer to home then I am...I have one I just pulled out of my 91 Yj....it works :great.... I swamped it for a AW-4 automatic transmission... so if needed tell me what you'd give me for it...and its yours.
SteveO

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Well...if you guys need a good AX-15 and can't find one closer to home then I am...I have one I just pulled out of my 91 Yj....it works :great.... I swamped it for a AW-4 automatic transmission... so if needed tell me what you'd give me for it...and its yours.
SteveO
I would have taken you up on that, my father has a house down in the desert, BUT I scored a NV3550 not too long ago....

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Hey right on...glad you got one.....those are good a trans but there load so don't be alarmed on your first ride...
SteveO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts