Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do one? My YJ needs a clutch and I'm looking to do it this weekend. Anyone got tips, things to look out for?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Did one on my buddies TJ. Not to bad but you'll need a jack or strong buddy to help lift the trans/TC down and back up. Take your time and ensure the clutch plate is facing the correct direction and that the pressure plate is torqued in a star pattern.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did one on my buddies TJ. Not to bad but you'll need a jack or strong buddy to help lift the trans/TC down and back up. Take your time and ensure the clutch plate is facing the correct direction and that the pressure plate is torqued in a star pattern.
Thanks man. I actually have the opportunity to do it on a lift so that will make it easier! what company clutch kit did you guys use?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I honestly don't know the brand, but he got his from Orielly's for like $130 I think. One thing too make sure once you drop the trans that you support the eng on the oil pan so you don't damage the eng mount, fan blades or anything else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly don't know the brand, but he got his from Orielly's for like $130 I think. One thing too make sure once you drop the trans that you support the eng on the oil pan so you don't damage the eng mount, fan blades or anything else.
Thanks man. I appreciate it! Did you guys do the slave cylinder as well?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I ordered mine off rockatuo.com I went with the Luk clutch kit. I did mine on my 93 back in February. Huge pain in my ass. Internal slave cylinder, so removing the transmission was a bear. While your at it, go ahead and replace the master cylinder. You will have to buy that separately. I didn't change my master in February when I replaced everything else. Two weeks ago, my master cylinder took a dump on me, so I had to replace that.

Wish I would have just done it all at once. Lesson learned. Good luck

·
Registered
391 Posts
depends on the year, could be an external slave.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Right, if the slave is external, then you will be pleased that it will probably only take an hour or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up! I'm doing it on a lift so I should be a little quicker I'm hoping

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'm doing it on a lift so I should be a little quicker I'm hoping
On a lift or not won't matter much, although it will help some with convenience of not having to work from your back the whole time like I did. I didn't even jack mine up when I did mine. Just crawled under it. What year is your Jeep? The big thing on how difficult it will be is if the slave is internal or external.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a lift or not won't matter much, although it will help some with convenience of not having to work from your back the whole time like I did. I didn't even jack mine up when I did mine. Just crawled under it. What year is your Jeep? The big thing on how difficult it will be is if the slave is internal or external.
Its a 1990. External?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All done!!! Pedal is softer than before but bleed correctly. New componet syndromes? I gott replace my clutch line soon. Its rusted up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts