Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil Sunday and now it shifts like crap. I took out Regular motor oil that was what was recommended for it and put in Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4. It is HARDER to shift! I haven't driven it far at all. 5 miles tops inside the city. I noticed it after about 2 miles. It is mostly only first and second gear. I put this AX15 in back in June and haven't had any problems with it at all. I have done about 5,000 miles on it. I put in cheap oil because I knew I was going to be changing it after a few months to the Redline I just put in it. 90% of the hours are in the woods with it so I know it is a tough and solid transmission. As soon as I changed it it just feels more like metal on metal instead of a smooth shift lubricated real well. Did I do something wrong? I did a lot of research on what oil was best and this one came up the most for this transmission.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well other than the updated 10W-30 requirement Chrysler mandated the AX15 is a GL-5 fluid tranny. Redline should work fine (I use Royal Purple myself though), but try their GL-5 fluid.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Novak says 75w90 GL-3. WTF :banghead:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I found the best to use in my 89 Ax15 is full syn 75W90 gear oil. It never shifted so smooth.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kik said:
i found the best to use in my 89 ax15 is full syn 75w90 gear oil. It never shifted so smooth.
gl?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything you will see if you look says gl5 eats syncros. I also know the reccomendation was changed at some point.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It used to be GL-5 but Chrysler realized back in the day that it was, in fact, "eating" synchros (the brass started to deteriorate) so they changed their recommendation to 10W30 motor oil. However, full synthetic 75W90 gear oil is perfectly safe for the AX15. You could also use full syn 10W30 motor oil. An added benefit to using full syn 75W90 gear oil is that the trans shifts smoother. Some swear by motor oil some by gear oil that I mentioned. I found that with the full syn gear oil my trans does shift better (smoother) hot and cold with absolutely no harm to the synchros. I also use full syn 75W90 gear oil in my differentials.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It used to be GL-5 but Chrysler realized back in the day that it was, in fact, "eating" synchros (the brass started to deteriorate) so they changed their recommendation to 10W30 motor oil. However, full synthetic 75W90 gear oil is perfectly safe for the AX15. You could also use full syn 10W30 motor oil. An added benefit to using full syn 75W90 gear oil is that the trans shifts smoother. Some swear by motor oil some by gear oil that I mentioned. I found that with the full syn gear oil my trans does shift better (smoother) hot and cold with absolutely no harm to the synchros. I also use full syn 75W90 gear oil in my differentials.
^^^ This. Conventional GL-5 was found to be a problem, but most modern full synthetics (Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc) are safe on the brass synchros. The GL-4 shifts harder because it's GL-4. Get yourself some top quality GL-5 and it'll be butter. If you don't want to drop the coin on top quality GL-5 then just run synthetic 10W-30 (Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, etc.)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Redline MT90 made my AX15 almost new again. Used it in several vehicles and it worked great. I wonder if it's acting weird mixed with leftover motor oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts